[VCEE Seminar] AES Seminar 22.3.2022

Mon Mar 14 13:41:05 CET 2022

Dear all,

I am happy to inform you that Luis Aguiar will give the next talk in the
Applied Economics Seminar on Tuesday, March 22, from 13.15-14.30h HS 5.

Digitization and the Gender Gap in Product Ratings: Evidence from the Movies

Abstract:

Digitization has led to a dramatic increase in the number of new creative
products brought to market, challenging traditional product discovery
channels such as professional critics. While technological change has also
brought alternative sources of information in the form of crowed-based
reviews, their nature still raises important questions about the impact of
digitization. On the one hand, crowd-based reviews can inform consumers
about products that would otherwise not have been reviewed by professional
critics. On the other hand, crowd reviews - which are usually left
anonymously - can suffer from lack of objectivity or even from certain types
of pernicious biases. This is in contrast with reviews from professional
critics who have strong incentives to appear unbiased due to reputational
costs. In the context of the movie industry, I rely on various measures of
on-screen female presence to explore whether the impact of digitization on
movie ratings is gender-neutral. Controlling for movie quality, I show that
female movies are disproportionately hurt by digitization as captured by
crowd-based ratings. Most of this effect is driven by male audience
reviewers.

If you are interested in meeting the speaker please enlist in the
doodle-link below (office No. 05.303)

https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/negNl3ld

Best regards,

Gabi