[VCEE Seminar] reminder VCEE Seminar 18.3.2022

Mon Mar 14 09:30:34 CET 2022

Dear all,

You are cordially invited to attend the VCEE seminar on Friday, March 18
from 10:30-12:00

(SR 3).

Agne Kajackaite (Berlin Social Science Center)

Title:

Breaking bad: Malfunctioning institutions erode good behavior

(joint work with Rustam Hakimov)

Abstract:

This paper studies how control institutions of truthful reporting affect
cheating behavior. In a large-scale online experiment, we use a repeated
version of the observed game (Gneezy et al., 2018). We find that when
uncertainty exists regarding whether a control institution is in place,
participants "break bad" over time and cheat more than participants who know
no control institution is in place. That is, the uncertain (malfunctioning)
institution leads to more cheating than no institution at all, because the
development of lying behavior is endogenous to the institution. We also test
the effects of a strong institution and a weak institution and find the
strong institution reduces cheating on the intensive margin but leads to
detrimental effects on the extensive margin; by contrast, the weak
institution has little impact on cheating.

If you are interested in meeting Agne Kajackaite after the seminar (meeting
slots of 30' , room no 05.330 (Wagner Zimmer) please register via this
doodle-link:

https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/rb2qxDMa

Best regards,

Gabriele Prochaska