[pca] Download server issues

Nishimura, Scott L (IT Solutions) scott.nishimura at ngc.com
Tue Dec 14 18:57:06 CET 2010

Good catch, John.

Warning:  long, Odyssey-like explanation follows [but at least it's not all Greek]

I previously was able to access My Oracle Support with no problem but the key was that patch downloads were still coming from Sunsolve pre-12/10.  But when I just tried it I got an red warning saying that "Access to all other features in My Oracle Support is not available.  This account requires one valid Support Identifier."

I then entered in a couple of valid support contracts but the system rejected those.  I finally clicked on "Find Support Identifier" and entered a serial # and it gave me a # which I had never seen before.  I entered that # and the system accepted it but still told me I had no privileges.  Turns out someone else at my org. already claimed that #.

So I used another serial # from a different set of machines and I was the first to use it so it let me in.  But then it had an error communicating with the server and told me to try again later.

I came back in and selected the Support ID that worked and was able to view patches but when I tried to download 146019-01, for example, I got

"You do not have permission to download OS patches.  Either your Customer Support Identifier administrator did not allow you to download patches or please contact Oracle Support Sales to extend your support contract to include access to OS patches."

But I checked and I'm an administrator so I'm puzzled as to why I can't download.

I finally logged out all the way and logged back in:  now I can download from the web page.

I also can now download all missing patches via pca.

I suspect most people are having the same issue that John pointed out.  The reason I didn't notice it is because MOS access was fine when I tested it before the 12/10 switchover but I wasn't able to test patch downloads because the web page still directed me to Sunsolve.

Scott