[Vortraege] Nachtrag - Vortragsankündigungen diese Woche

Dekanat für Mathematik dekanat.mathematik at univie.ac.at
Tue Oct 27 14:09:42 CET 2009

Sehr geehrte Fakultätsmitglieder,

anbei ein Nachtrag der Vortragsankündigungen für diese Woche.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen*
*Honkisz Margit*
*

*Mittwoch, 28. Oktober, 15:00 Uhr bis 15:45 Uhr, C 209, UZA 4***

*Junior Kolloquium*

"Measuring with algebra"

Abstract. Persistent homology is an algebraic method for measuring the
          scale of a homology class in a filtration.  Taking the
          sublevel sets of a real-valued function, we get a measure
          on the features that are born and die as we increase the threshold.
          This bridge between algebra and measure theory is solidified
          by results about the stability of the diagram we use to
          express persistence.  Using the bottleneck distance for
          diagrams, we get stability for general, tame functions.
          Using Wasserstein distance, we get stability for Lipschitz
          functions on a large class of spaces.  Extending the theory
          from filtrations to zigzag modules, we get stability results
          for transversal intersections.  We illustrate the results with
          applications in the sciences and engineering.

15:45 Uhr bis 16:15 Uhr: K & K im Common Room