[Vortraege] Vortragsankündigungen KW 47

Danijela Radosavljevic Danijela.Radosavljevic at univie.ac.at
Fri Nov 13 13:49:37 CET 2009

Sehr geehrte Fakultätsmitglieder,

anbei die Vortragsankündigungen für die nächste Woche, im Anhang finden
Sie den Text auch als PDF Datei.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Danijela Radosavljevic
Sekretariat
Fakultät für Mathematik
Universität Wien
Nordbergstr. 15, UZA 4
Tel: 43 1 4277 50603
Fax: 43 1 4277 9506

Vorträge

Mittwoch, 18. November 2009, 16:15 Uhr bis 17:00 Uhr, UZA 4, C 2.09
(Kaffejause 15:45 Uhr bis 16:15 Uhr im Common Room)
Mathematisches Kolloquium
„From Embedding Techniques to Rubust Pricing and back. On a new examples
of positive feedback between Mathematical Finance and Probability Theory“
Prof. Jan Obloj

Abstract:
Rapid development of mathematical finance since the late 70ties was
possible, to a large extent, because the body of mathematics it need,
semimartingales and stochastic calculus, had been developed before. Ever
since, mathematical finance and related aspects of probability theory
have enjoyed a mutually fueled growth and expansion. We discuss some
recent examples of this positive feedback. In particular we present a
link between the Skorokhod embedding techniques and martingale
inequalities on one hand, and robust pricing and hedging of options on
the other hand. We mention new types of arbitrage resulting from our
analysis as well as evidence corroborating certain conjecture in
probability.

(Dekan Univ.-Prof. Dr. Harald Rindler, Prof. Schachermayer)

Montag, 16. November 2009 17:15 Uhr bis 18.00 Uhr, C 209, UZA 4
(Kaffeejause: 17:00 Uhr bis 17:15 Uhr im Common Room)
Dissertantenkolloquium
Dipl. Ing. Clemens Bruschek (Universität Wien, Fakultät für Mathematik)
„Algebraic Geometry “

Abstract:
Algebraic geometry is the study of geometrical objects given by
algebraic data. For example one is interested in the structure of the
set of solutions of a finite set of polynomial equations in several
variables over a field. After a quick introduction to the very basics of
algebraic geometry we will focus on the study of such solutions in the
ring of formal or convergent power series. This will lead to the study
of infinite dimensional algebraic varieties, so called "arc spaces" and
their natural generalizations. Along this roadmap we will point out to
other research topics the field.

Montag, 16. November 2009, ab 15:15 Uhr, UZA 4, Seminarraum D 107
Geometry Seminar
“Variational formulas on shape space of hypersurfaces in n-space”
Martin Bauer und Philip Harms

Montag, 16. November 2009, ab 14:00 Uhr, Seminarraum C 209, UZA 4
„Shot Delay Optimization in Seismic Imaging“
Simona Savescu (University of Limerick, Ireland)

Abstract
Seismic images use to display perturbations of the emitted signals due
to variations in the near-surface properties of the Earth
(vibrator/offset differences). Nonlinearity arising from the contact
between a vibrator’s base plate and the ground causes the waves to
interfere with each other and the targets to locate at different levels.
Geophysicists use source signal separation techniques to compensate
these perturbations. As a consequence, the recorded signal is not
optimal. Due to offset differences within the vibratory array, the
emitted sweep signals have delays, resulting in a frequency dependent
attenuation. This effect materializes in a high frequency loss in the
spectra, hindering the image quality of the signal. Hence the wider the
spectra, the better the summation image of the signal, while the lower
the frequencies, the blurrier the image.

In this study we quantified this effect and through an intra-array
static shift, we optimized (minimized) the resulting time differences in
a 2, 3 and 4D seismic reflection survey.

(Univ.-Prof. Dr. Dipl.-Ing. Otmar Scherzer)

Dienstag, 17. November 2009, ab 14:00 Uhr bis Donnerstag, 19. November
2009, ab 8:30 Uhr, ESI Boltzmann Lecture Hall, Boltzmanngasse 9, 1090 Wien
ESI Workshop – Complex Analysis Seminar: “The dbar – Neumann problem“
organized by: F. Haslinger, B. Lamel, E. Straube

Dienstag, 17. November 2009, von 15:00 Uhr bis 16:00 Uhr, D1.03, UZA 4
Arbeitsgemeinschaft Biomathematik
Boyu Zhang (Universität Wien
“Evolutionary games and impulsive differential equattions”

Donnerstag, 19. November 2009, ab 16 00 Uhr, ESI Boltzmann Lecture Hall,
Boltzmanngasse 9, 1090 Wien
Seminar: “Beta-expansions, natural extensions and multiple tilings “
Prof. Charlene Kalle (Warwick)

Freitag, 20. November ab 12:15 Uhr, Institut für Diskrete Mathematik und
Geometrie, Freihaus, grüner Turm (A), 5. Stock, kleiner Seminarraum 104,
Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10, 1040 Wien
Algebra Seminar
12:15 Uhr – 12:50 Uhr Jan Kühr:
“Representable residuated lattices and their subreducts”
12:55 Uhr – 13:20 Uhr Ivan Chajda
„Action algebras“