[Vortraege] Vortragsankündigungen der komm. Woche (KW 49)

Dekanat für Mathematik dekanat.mathematik at univie.ac.at
Fri Nov 28 12:50:04 CET 2008

Sehr geehrte Fakultätsmitglieder,

anbei die Vortragsankündigungen für die nächste Woche, im Anhang finden
Sie den Text auch als PDF Datei.

Mittwoch, 3. Dezember, 16:00 Uhr, C 209, UZA 4
Antrittsvorlesung im Rahmen eines Mathematischen Kolloquiums von
o. Univ.-Prof. Dr. Walter Schachermayer (Universität Wien, Fakultät für
Mathematik)
 „The fundamental theorem of asset pricing under small transaction costs“
Abstract: A version of the fundamental theorem of asset pricing is
proved for continuous asset prices with small proportional transaction
costs. Equivalence is established between: (a) the absence of arbitrage
with general strategies for arbitrarily small transaction costs  > 0,
(b) the absence of free lunches with bounded risk for arbitrarily small
transaction costs  > 0, and (c) the existence of -consistent price
systems - the analogue of martingale measures under transaction costs -
for arbitrarily small  > 0.

Anschließend Buffet im Common Room.

(Dekan Univ.-Prof. Dr. Harald Rindler)

Dienstag, 2. Dezember, 11:15 Uhr bis 12:45 Uhr, D 104, UZA 4
Complex Analysis Seminar
Dr. Olivia Constantin (Universität Wien, Fakultät für Mathematik)
„Similarity problems on vector-valued Bergman spaces“
Abstract: We consider Foguel-Hankel operators on vector-valued Bergman
spaces. Such operators defined on Hardy spaces play a central role in
the famous example by Pisier of a polynomially bounded operator which is
not similar to a contraction. On Bergman spaces we encounter a
completely different behaviour: power boundedness, polynomial
boundedness, and similarity to a contraction are all equivalent for this
class of operators. We also investigate pairs of Foguel-Hankel operators
acting on vector-valued Bergman spaces. We show that a commuting pair of
such operators is jointly polynomially bounded if and only if it is
similar to a pair of contractions, if and only if both operators are
polynomially bounded.

Dienstag, 2. Dezember, 15:00 Uhr, D 103
Arbeitsgemeinschaft Biomathematik
Samuel Rota-Bulo (Venedig)
„InImDyn - Infection and immunization dynamics for equilibrium selection
in evolutionary games”

Mittwoch, 3. Dezember, 17:00 Uhr, WPI- Wolfgang Pauli Institute, Zemanek
HS at the TU Vienna, ground floor, staircase 3, lightgreen zone,
Favoritenstraße 9-11, 1040 Vienna
Thematic program: Foundations of Knowledge and Information Handling (2007)
Robert Kowalski
„What is a Rule in Artificial Intelligence”
Abstract: If-then rules, which are arguably the most common form of
knowledge representation in Artificial Intelligence, are ambiguous. They
can be interpreted both as logic programs having the form if conditions
then conclusions and as production rules having the form if conditions
then do actions. The relationship between these different kinds of rules
has received little attention in the AI literature, and, when it has,
different authors have reached entirely different conclusions. Some
authors, such as Russell and Norvig in their textbook Introduction to
Artificial Intelligence, view production rules as just logical
implications used to reason forward, while Herbert Simon in the MIT
Encyclopedia of Cognitive Science views the logic programming language
Prolog as one of many production system languages. On the other hand,
Thagard in his Introduction to Cognitive Science denies any relationship
between logic and production rules at all. In this talk, I will explore
the relationships between logic programs and production rules and
propose a framework that combines the two kinds of rules and eliminates
the overlap between them. The framework uses production rules for
sentences of the form if conditions then achieve goals, and it uses
logic programs both to evaluate conditions and to achieve goals by
reducing goals to sub-goals. I will discuss the problems of giving the
resulting framework both a declarative, model-theoretic semantics and an
operational semantics in the form of a transition system.

Donnerstag, 4. Dezember, 15.30 Uhr, 2A310, UZA 2
Geometry Seminar
Dr. Dennis Westra
„On singularities in supervarieties”
Abstract: In the talk I will introduce what singularities are in the
setting of algebraic supervarieties. In course of the talk I will
discuss the necessary ingredients from the theory of commutative
superrings. I will end the talk with some remarks on a result of R.
Fioresi, which says that each algebraic supergroup is in fact a Lie
supergroup, that is, smooth.

Freitag, 5. Dezember,  12:15 Uhr, TU Wien, Institut für Diskrete
Mathematik und Geometrie,
kleiner Seminarraum 104, Wiedner Hauptstr. 8-10, Turm A, 5. Stock, 1040 Wien
WAS Algebra Seminar
Mathias Beiglböck
„Summen von Mengen, mittelbare Gruppen und Bohr-fastperiodische Funktionen“

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Margit Honkisz