[Vortraege] Vortragsankündigungen der komm. Woche (KW 47)

Dekanat für Mathematik dekanat.mathematik at univie.ac.at
Fri Nov 14 12:43:47 CET 2008

Sehr geehrte Fakultätsmitglieder,

anbei die Vortragsankündigungen für die nächste Woche, im Anhang finden
Sie den Text auch als PDF Datei.

Mittwoch, 19. November, 15:00 Uhr bis 15:45 Uhr, C 209, UZA 4
Mathematisches Kolloquium
Prof. Dr. Bernhard Grasemann (Universität Wien, Department für
Geodynamik und Sedimentologie)
„The behaviour of ellipsoidal inclusions with geoscience applications“
Abstract: In this presentation a new model is derived which simulates
the behaviour of inclusions in a geological context. The inclusions are
modeled using an adaptation of Jeffery’s (1922) solution for a rigid
ellipsoidal n Stokes flow. Two classes of solution are derived where:
(1) The boundary between ellipsoid and matrix is coherent allowing
linear internal deformation,
(2) The ellipsoid is rigid and slip between ellipsoid and matrix is allowed.
The derivation of solution (1) may be adapted to model layer-like
structures by extending two ellipsoid axes to infinity. It is shown that
planar layer elements of arbitrary viscosity always rotate passively.
This result allows for the determination of the internal strain of an
arbitrarily shaped surface of finite thickness.
Solution (2) allows for slip at the ellipsoid boundary. Stable ellipsoid
orientations are found in simple shear which may account for field
observations. Results agree well with analogue experiments using ice and
liquid soap inclusions under simple shear.

(Dekan Univ.-Prof. Dr. Harald Rindler, V.-Prof. Dr. Herwig Hauser)

15:45 Uhr bis 16:15 Uhr: K&K im Common Room

16:00 Uhr c.t. bis 17:00, C 209, UZA 4
Prof. Dr. Dan Burghelea (Ohio State University)
„Torsion, a manifold invariant of relevance in topology, geometry and
dynamics“
Abstract: I will discuss a manifold invariant " torsion " which
originated in the work of Franz-Reidemeister, Milnor-Turaev, Ray-Singer
and has relevance in topology, geometry and dynamics. The presentation
is based on work with S. Haller.

(Dekan Univ.-Prof. Dr. Harald Rindler, Univ.-Ass. Privatdoz. Dr. Stefan
Haller)

Dienstag, 18. November, 11:15 Uhr bis 12:45 Uhr, 2A180, UZA 2
Complex Analysis Seminar
Dr. Häkan Samuelsson (University of Göteborg)
„Koppelman formulas and the d-bar equation on analytic spaces”
Absatz: I will describe a method to generate intrinsic weighted
Koppelman formulas on pure dimensional analytic subvarieties of
pseudoconvex domains in Cn. The formulas give new existence results for
the d-bar equation on singular spaces as well as alternative proofs of
some known results. The main ingredients in the construction of the
formulas are weighted integral formulas for domains in Cn and residue
currents. This is a joint work with Mats Andersson.

Mittwoch, 19. November (Beginn: 14:00 Uhr) bis Samstag, 22. November,
Technische Universität Wien, „Freihaus“, Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10, 1040 Wien
Workshop on Discrete Mathematics
Information und Programm:  http://dmg.tuwien.ac.at/nfn/WDM2008/

Mittwoch, 19. November, 16:15 Uhr, Wolfgang Pauli Institut (WPI),
Seminar an der Technischen Universität Wien, Seminarraum 101C, 4 Fl.,
Wiedner Hauptstraße 8, 1040 Wien
WK Seminar
Pechstein Clemens
„Robust FETI solvers for multiscale elliptic PDEs“
Abstract: http://www.wpi.ac.at/talks_view.php

Donnerstag, 20. November, 15:30 Uhr, 2A310, Geozentrum UZA II, Althanstr. 14
Öffentliche Defensio
Mag. Katja Sagerschnig
„Weyl structures for generic rank two distributions in dimension five“
Abstract: The study of generic rank two distributions in dimension five
is a classic subject: It is related to the first appearance of the
exceptional Lie group G2 and the development of the equivalence method
by Elie Cartan. We shall discuss some background and present new results
about these distributions, using concepts from the theory of parabolic
geometries. In particular, we consider Weyl structures determined by
so-called generalized contact forms and provide an explicit description
of the corresponding linear connection on the distribution, the
corresponding decomposition of the tangent bundle and the corresponding
Rho-tensor. This can be interpreted as a construction of the canonical
Cartan connection for a generic rank two distribution in dimension five.
The approach leads to formulae for invariants of the distribution, such
as the fundamental curvature tensor and certain invariant operators, in
terms of generalized contact forms. Furthermore, we discuss Nurowski's
conformal structure as a special case of a generalized Fefferman
construction. Using our results, we obtain a natural description of a
metric from Nurowski's conformal class.

Donnerstag, 20. November, 17:00 Uhr, C 209
Arbeitsgemeinschaft Biomathematik
Prof. Dr. Michael Doebeli (University of British Columbia, Vancouver)
„Partial differential equation models for adaptive speciation“

Donnerstag, 20. November, 15:00 Uhr, Wolfgang Pauli Institut (WPI),
Seminarraum C 714, Nordbergstraße 15, 1090 Wien
WK Student Seminar
Aki Gonca
„Existence of minimizers of the semi-relativistic Hartree energy”
Abstract: We consider the semi-relativistic Hartree system in attractive
Coulomb case. We prove existence of the minimizers of the energy
functional under a constraint which comprises an appropriately chosen
Casimir functional. For the existence of such minimizers the
concentration-compactness property of the density which is needed to
tackle the limit of the potential energy along the minimizing sequences
is studied.

Hittmeir Sabine
„From a reactive kinetic model to the Fisher equation”
Abstract: In this talk a constructive existence proof for travelling
wave solutions of a reactive kinetic equation will be presented. The
density of the kinetic profile is shown to be asymptotically close to
the travelling wave solution of the Fisher equation, which is a
reaction-diffusion model commonly used to describe population dynamics.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Margit Honkisz