[VCEE Seminar] REMINDER: VCEE Seminar with Mattie Toma - Invitation, April 26

Mon Apr 22 08:10:55 CEST 2024

Dear members and friends of the VCEE,

You are invited to attend the VCEE seminar on Friday April 26, 2024, from
10:30 to 12:00 hrs Vienna time.

The seminar takes place in Hörsaal 3 (ground floor) at
Oskar-Morgenstern-Platz 1.

We will have one speaker: Mattie Toma ((University of Warwick)

Webpage: https://www.mattietoma.com/

Here is more information about the talk:

Title: Numbers tell, but words sell: Imprecision in persuasive communication

Abstract:

Experts must often choose whether to communicate using numbers or language
when sharing information with policymakers and the general public. While
there are many reasons why experts would send messages using language or
numbers, our study emphasizes the role of message precision: numbers
represent precise estimates, whereas language is imprecise because one word
can be interpreted as many numerical values. We run a large-scale experiment
in which we vary message senders’ incentives to directionally persuade their
audience or to convey accurate information. We look at choices between
message formats, finding that directional incentives increase the likelihood
of using language to communicate. We also analyze preferences for messages
within each format, finding distortions for both numerical and language
messages. The imprecision of language can help explain the preferences that
we observe. We then discuss an application involving the communication of
research evidence to policymakers.

If you are interested in meeting after the seminar (meeting slots of 30’)
you can register via this link:

https://nuudel.digitalcourage.de/KsA9wrXz57JAGopA

Best regards,

Sylvia Vosatka