[VCEE Seminar] VCEE Seminar - Invitation

Thu Apr 13 17:07:06 CEST 2023

Dear members and friends of the VCEE,

You are invited to attend the VCEE seminar on Friday April 21, 2023,
from 10:30 to 12:00 hrs Vienna time.

The seminar takes place in Seminar Room 14 (2nd floor) at
Oskar-Morgenstern-Platz 1.

We will have one speaker: *Katharina Momsen* (University of Heidelberg),
https://sites.google.com/site/katharinamomsen/

Here is more information about the talk:

*Title: *

*Seller Opportunism in Credence Good Markets – The Role of Market
Conditions* (joint with Markus Ohndorf)

*Abstract:*

We report the results of an experiment to systematically investigate the
influence of different settings in credence good markets on opportunism
in the sellers’ decisions. We find that, as predicted by a cognitive
dissonance model, the specific choice of the design features might be
less innocuous than generally presumed: sellers’ decisions made under a
direct sales regime are significantly more opportunistic than purchase
recommendations. Furthermore, average choices are more opportunistic
when a costless diagnosis is required to assess the buyer’s needs —
sellers exploit moral wiggle room by avoiding information. Yet, this
effect is only present for purchase recommendations, not direct sales.
Both of these effects significantly affect market efficiency. Generally,
the parametrization of the decision problem has a strong influence on
opportunism, as predicted. Here, we find that sellers tend to overtreat
and buyers self-select into overtreatment.

If you are interested in meeting after the seminar (meeting slots of
30’, room no 05.330) you can register via this link:

https://nuudel.digitalcourage.de/CV7kAYoiY94oh3E8

Best regards,

Wieland Müller

--