[PLing] Semantics Talk by Marcin Wągiel next week Wednesday

Daniel Büring daniel.buring at univie.ac.at
Wed Dec 6 13:05:51 CET 2023

Everybody is cordially invited to join a talk by *Marcin Wągiel* on
*Wednesday, Dec 13th, 14:30*

Location: *SR2*, 1st floor, Sensengasse 3a, 1090 Vienna

Note: Marcin has also offered to give us a more thorough introduction to
mereotypology in the form of a two or three part seminar in January, if
there is interest. So if you want to check out if mereotypology is your
thing, this talk is a good occasion to do so.

    Structured Parthood in Language

Marcin Wągiel (Masaryk University in Brno & University of Wrocław)

Standard approaches to expressions describing part-whole structures in
language are grounded in classical mereology, which is built upon the
notion of parthood. In this talk, I will argue that this is not enough
to capture certain linguistic data. I will discuss a number of
linguistic phenomena in the nominal domain calling for an analysis that
captures not only part-whole relations but also topological arrangement
of parts within a whole. Among others, I will investigate entity
partitives such `a half of that apple', Slavic spatial collective nouns,
e.g., Czech /list/ `a leaf' `-> /listí/ `foliage', and singulatives,
e.g., Ukrainian /grad/ `hail' ~ /hradyna/ `a hailstone', as well as
Italian irregular plurals, e.g., /osso/ `a bone' ~ /ossi/ `bones' ~
/ossa/ `(connected) bones (as in a skeleton)'. I will demonstrate that
all of these phenomena can be captured if one adopts a more powerful
theory of parts and wholes compared to mereology. This theory is called
mereotopology and it combines standard mereology with topological
notions such as connectedness that allow for modeling various spatial
configurations of entities.

--
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Daniel Büring	     Institut für Sprachwissenschaft
Universität Wien	             Sensengasse 3a, Raum O6.05