[PLing] Update: OFAI 2022 Lecture Series

Tristan Miller tristan.miller at ofai.at
Mon Sep 5 20:14:59 CEST 2022

Dear colleagues,

After a summer break, the 2022 Lecture Series of the Austrian Research
Institute for Artificial Intelligence (OFAI) resumes this week.  We
warmly welcome everyone to attend the online talks, free of charge and
without advance registration. As you can see from the schedule below,
many of the talks concern linguistics, computational linguistics, or
natural language processing.

Most lectures will take place on Wednesdays at 18:30 Central European
(Summer) Time. All lectures will be held online via Zoom; in-person
attendance at OFAI Headquarters in Vienna is also possible for certain
lectures. Note that some talk details have changed since our initial
announcement back in June.

Visit <https://www.ofai.at/lectures> for full details, including talk
abstracts and connection details.  You can also sign up for our
newsletter at <https://www.ofai.at/newsletter.html> to get e-mail
notifications about the individual talks (and future OFAI events).

Sincerely,
Tristan Miller

OFAI 2022 Lecture Series, Part II:
----------------------------------

7 September
Steffen Eger
Bielefeld University
Text Generation for the Humanities

14 September
Antti Arppe
University of Alberta
Finding Words that Aren't There: Using Word Embeddings to Improve
Dictionary Search for Low-resource Languages

21 September
Roman Pflugfelder
TU München / Technion
Fragmented Occlusion in Computer Vision

28 September
Raphael Deimel
TU Wien
Fluent and Intuitive Human–robot Object Handover

5 October
Christoph Scheepers
University of Glasgow
The "Crossword Effect" in Free Word Recall: A Retrieval Advantage for
Words Encoded in Line with their Spatial Associations

12 October
Karën Fort
Sorbonne Université / LORIA
Ethics and NLP: What we Talk About, What we Don't Talk About Anymore,
What we Never Talked About

19 October
Benjamin Roth
University of Vienna
Evaluation and Learning with Structured Test Sets

25 October
Peter Hallman
OFAI
Comparatives in Arabic

2 November
Stephanie Gross
OFAI
Multimodal Human–Robot Interaction in Situated Task Descriptions

9 November
Bernhard Pfahringer
University of Waikato
The World is not IID: Learning from Data Streams to the Rescue

16 November
Paolo Petta
OFAI
Title TBA

23 November
Robert Trappl
OFAI
Title TBA

--
Dr.-Ing. Tristan Miller, Research Scientist
Austrian Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence (OFAI)