[PLing] upcoming talk

Jutta Mueller jutta.mueller at univie.ac.at
Tue May 10 09:28:33 CEST 2022

Dear colleagues,

I am happy to announce a talk hosted by the Psycholinguistics Group by

Prof. Hamutal Kreiner

(Director of Linguistic Cognition Lab
Ruppin Academic Center, Israel)

The talk will be in presence respecting the current Covid measures of
the University of Vienna (FFP2 mask indoors). Everybody who is
interested is invited to join!

DO 19.05.2022 6pm Place: Seminar Room 3,  Sensengasse 3a 1.OG

*Inner Speech as Language Embodiment: Evidence from the Motor System *

/Abstract/
Within the theoretical model of language embodiment, inner (covert)
speech is conceptualized as a simulation of overt language experience.
Most of the research within the theoretical framework of embodied
linguistics focused on representation of word meanings and their
correlations with brain activation patterns. However, very often meaning
is conveyed not by what one says but rather by how it is said,
suggesting that form is not less important than content in language
processing. The studies I am going to present are part of a larger
research project that investigates the role of inner speech in the
processing of form, in particular we focused on syntactic, emotional,
and pragmatic aspects of language, which are largely conveyed by
prosodic forms. The main objectives of the two studies that I will
present in my talk were (a) to show that inner speech is manifested in
the motor system, and (b) to examine the manifestation of prosodic
characteristics associated with pragmatic (direct vs. indirect speech),
syntactic (question vs. statement) and emotional (negative, neutral,
positive) aspects of the sentence.  The first study focused on the motor
system of the hands when typing and examined the hypothesis that
prosodic characteristics of spoken sentences such as speech tempo and
tension will be manifested in corresponding measures of the motor system
while typing these sentences. Participants listened to a sentence,
repeated it in their inner voice, and then typed it while we measured
the tempo and pitch of acoustic patterns of the spoken sentences and the
motoric patterns of typing. Results from two experiments showed that
typing tempo was predicted by the tempo of spoken sentences and the word
serial order. Moreover, in emotional sentences, typing pressure was
predicted by pitch of the spoken sentences. These findings suggest that
the motor programs involved in typing are subserved by inner speech
simulation that represents prosodic aspects of the acoustic signal. The
second study used electromyography to measure activity in facial
articulatory muscles, while participants repeated sentences in their
inner speech. Results showed increased muscle activity in direct
compared to indirect speech, increased activation for statement compared
to question sentences, and increased activation for positive compared to
negative sentences. Taken together the results from the two studies
indicate that inner speech simulation is manifested in the motor system
during typing and during silent sentence rehearsing. They further
suggest that prosodic aspects of speech are represented in inner speech
simulation. The findings offer two innovations (a) the embodiment of
non-verbal aspects of language (i.e., structure and emotion), and (b)
the manifestation of embodiment in the motor system. The implications of
these findings with regard to language embodiment theories will be
discussed.

--

Univ.-Prof. Dr. Jutta L. Mueller
Institute of Linguistics