[PLing] reminder: Semantics Talk by Viola Schmitt tomorrow, Wed. May, 4th, 16:30h

Daniel Büring daniel.buring at univie.ac.at
Tue May 3 12:06:44 CEST 2022

Cordially invite you to a semantics talk tomorrow the department of
linguistics does.

     Viola Schmitt (Humboldt University, Berlin)
*    There is no evidence for world pluralities. Why?*

     Wed, May, 4th, 16:30h, HS1, Sensengasse 3a, 1090 Wien

Abstract:
My first point will be to argue that worlds represent an exception to an
otherwise apparently robust pattern, namely,
to the generalization that all semantic domains contain pluralities.
More specifically, conditionals and constructions involving neg-raising
predicates have been discussed in the literature as candidates for
configurations that
might involve world-pluralities, as they exhibit two traits also
connected with definite plurals: homogeneity and
non-maximality. However, I show that they lack core traits of
pluralities witnessed for all other domains, namely,
cumulativity and the ability to be targeted by a certain class of
quantifiers. In the second part of the talk, I probe
an explanation for this gap – partially building on previous claims in
the literature, I try to link the use of worlds in
these constructions to the use of degrees in constructions with gradable
predicates that relate to non-additive scales.