[PLing] Reminder talk by Moreno Mitrovic, 3.10

Enrico Flor enrico.flor at univie.ac.at
Mon Oct 2 09:09:40 CEST 2017

Dear everyone,

we'd like to remind you that tomorrow (October 3rd) Moreno Mitrović
(University of Cyprus) is giving a talk at 18:15 in the Seminarraum 3 in
the Linguistics Department (Sensengasse 3a, first floor).

The title of the talk is: "Conjunctive markers in disjunctive
expressions". See below for the abstract.

Enrico Flor [and Nina Haslinger, Eva Rosina, Magdalena Roszkowski, Viola
Schmitt]

ABSTRACT: "The spirit of this talk is strongly decompositional and its
aim to meditate on the idea that natural language conjunction and
disjunction markers do not incarnate Boolean terms like “⋀” and “⋁”,
respectively. Drawing from a rich collection of (mostly dead) languages
(Ancient Anatolian, Homeric Greek, Tocharian, Slavonic, North-East
Caucasian), I will examine the morphosemantics of XOR (exclusive/strong
disjunction of the “either...or”-kind) and demonstrate that the
morphology of the XOR marker does only contain the disjunction marker (I
will call it κ), as one would expect, but that the XOR-expression also
contains the conjunction marker (I will call it μ). This exotic fact is
prima facie contradictory with regard to what we may think of as Boolean
atoms. In this talk, I try to make sense of how & why five grammatical
formatives are (derivationally and interpretationally) at play when XOR
expressions are concerned."