[PLing] FYI: KONVENS 2016, 19-21 Sept., Bochum

Friedrich Neubarth friedrich.neubarth at ofai.at
Tue Jan 19 13:48:32 CET 2016

Möchte auf den Call for Papers (und den Call for Workshops/Tutorials)
der diesjährigen KONVENS in Bochum (Sept. 19-21/22-23) aufmerksam machen:

http://www.linguistics.rub.de/konvens16/
https://linguistlist.org/callconf/call-action.cfm?ConfID=234816

LG, Fri

  KONVENS 2016

    Ruhr-Universität Bochum

    Call for Papers

We welcome original, unpublished contributions on research, development,
applications and evaluation, covering all areas of natural language
processing, ranging from basic questions to practical implementations of
natural language resources, components and systems.

The special theme of the 13th KONVENS is:

/Processing non-standard data — commonalities and differences/

A wide range of data can be considered “non-standard” because it
deviates in one way or the other from standard written data such as
newspaper texts. Examples include:

  * data produced by language learners
  * historical data
  * data from social media
  * (transcriptions of) spoken data

We especially encourage the submission of contributions comparing
different types of non-standard data and their properties, focussing on
their impact for natural language processing. For example, a feature
common to many types of non-standard data is the use of non-standard
spelling. However, spelling variation in learner data as compared to
historical data is due to very different reasons and, most likely,
resulting in very different types of non-standard spellings.

Topics that we would like to see addressed include:

  * Common properties of (many) non-standard data, e.g. non-standard
    spelling, data sparseness, features of orality
  * Impact of the commonalities and differences of non-standard data on
    the methods and tools that are applied to the data, e.g.
    normalization vs. tool adaptation, evaluation without gold standard,
    etc.

      Important Dates

*May 30, 2016* 	Paper submissions due
*July 15, 2016* 	Notification of acceptance
*August 15, 2016* 	Camera-ready copy due
*September 19–21, 2016* 	Conference

      Formats

We welcome two types of contributions:

  * Full papers for oral presentation (8 pages plus references)
  * Short papers for presentation as posters (4 pages plus references)

Short papers/posters can be combined with a system demonstration.
Reviews will be anonymous. Accepted full and short papers will be
published in the conference proceedings.

Submissions must conform to the formatting guidelines given below, and
must be made electronically through the conference website. (A link will
follow shortly.)

The conference languages are English and German. We encourage the
submission of contributions in English.