[PLing] Gastvortrag Zoltán Kövecses - Die, 24. März (13:15)

Marie-Luise Pitzl marie-luise.pitzl at univie.ac.at
Thu Mar 19 11:11:42 CET 2015

Liebe Kolleginnen und Kollegen,

das Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik möchte Sie herzlich zu
folgendem Gastvortrag einladen:*

**Univ.-Prof. Dr. DLitt. Zoltán Kövecses**
Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest**

"Where do metaphors come from?"*

*am Dienstag, den 24. März 2015, 13:15-14:45 Uhr, Hörsaal C2*
(im Rahmen der VO Communication, Code and Culture – everyone welcome!)*
Campus Hof 2, Spitalg. 2-4, 1090 Wien*

Abstract
Conceptual metaphor theory suggests that conceptual metaphors are based
on our bodily experiences. While this is certainly true in many cases of
metaphor, the role of the body in metaphor creation can and should be
reinterpreted. A missing element in accounts metaphor production and
metaphorical meaning making in general in cognitive linguistics is
context. I suggest that an account of metaphor production in context
must begin with a general characterization of communication and, within
that, metaphorical communication.
In the talk, I will propose a dozen or so commonly occurring contextual
factors that seem to play a role in the creation of metaphors in real
discourse. These contextual factors can be grouped into four larger
types: situational, linguistic, conceptual-cognitive, and bodily
factors. The contextual factors can be arranged along a gradient: from
local to global.
The reconceptualization of the nature and role of context in metaphor
creation is intended to improve and enrich existing versions of
conceptual metaphor theory. In light of the present work, cognition,
including metaphorical cognition, is grounded in not only the body, but
also in the situations in which people act and lead their lives, the
discourses in which they are engaged at any time in communicating and
interacting with each other, and the conceptual knowledge they have
accumulated about the world in the course of their experience of it.

Recommended reading:

Zoltán Kövecses. 2015. /Where Metaphors Come From. Reconsidering Context
in Metaphor/. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Bitte informieren Sie auch interessierte Studierende (siehe Attachment).
Wir freuen uns auf Ihr zahlreiches Erscheinen!

Herzliche Grüße,
Marie-Luise Pitzl

--
Dr. Marie-Luise Pitzl