[DissKoll] DissKoll, December 2, 2010, Steffen Kionke "A short trip to the land of arithmetic groups"

Klemens Katterbauer katterbauer.klemens at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 20:21:21 CET 2010

Dear visitors of the DissKoll (Dissertantenkolloquium),

On December 2, 2010, the DissKoll will have its third talk in this semester.

Steffen Kionke (University of Vienna) will talk about "
A short trip to the land of arithmetic groups".

Steffen Kionke
A short trip to the land of arithmetic groups
Abstract:

What is an arithmetic group and how to study them?
The objective of the talk is to introduce basic ideas in the study of
arithmetic groups, using typical examples of such groups. Departing
from Dirichlet's unit theorem, we will obtain ideas how to analyze
groups of units of orders in more general cases. (The talk is intended
to be understandable with only a basic knowlegde of algebra.)

Thursday, December 2, 2010, 17:15, Room C 2.07
Coffee and cakes served from 17:00 in the Common Room C 2.06

Program and further information you can find at
http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~disskoll/

If you are interested in giving a talk, then please contact Klemens
Katterbauer via the below given E-mail address or cell phone number.

To join the mailing list, visit
http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/mailman/listinfo/disskoll

Comments and feedback are welcomed.

We are looking forward to your attendance,

Steffen Kionke
Clemens Hanel
Klemens Katterbauer