[DissKoll] DissKoll Reminder: Today, Matthias Sommer, "Energy, potential enstrophy and phase space volume conservation properties of the shallow-water equations on a staggered geodesic grid"

Klemens Katterbauer katterbauer.klemens at gmail.com
Thu May 20 05:03:00 CEST 2010

Dear visitors of the DissKoll (Dissertantenkolloquium),

I want to remind you of today's DissKoll, where Matthias Sommer will
talk about "Energy, potential enstrophy and phase space volume
conservation properties of the shallow-water equations on a staggered
geodesic grid."

Abstract:
A spatial semi-discretization scheme for the shallow-water equations
on a geodesic grid with C-type staggering obeying conservation laws
for total energy, potential enstrophy and mass is presented. The
method of construction of this scheme relies on Nambu representation,
a generalization of Hamiltonian representation for dynamical systems.
The main idea of this method, which can be applied to a wide range of
atmospheric dynamical equations, is to discretize the phase space
structure of a given partial differential equation rather than the
occurring operators. Results of numerical experiments with this scheme
are compared to those of a standard implementation emphasizing the
role of classical and phase space volume conservation laws.

We are looking forward to your attendance,

Matthias Sommer
Clemens Hanel
Klemens Katterbauer