[Vortraege] Vortragsankündigungen KW 19

Martina Fellner Martina.Fellner at univie.ac.at
Fri May 2 15:03:04 CEST 2014

Sehr geehrte Fakultätsmitglieder,

anbei die Vortragsankündigungen für die kommende Woche, im Anhang finden
Sie den Text auch als PDF Datei.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Martina Fellner

--
Martina Fellner
Sekretariat

*Vorträge*

**

*Mittwoch, 7. Mai 2014, Sky-Lounge (12 OG), *

*Oskar-Morgenstern-Platz 1, 1090 Wien*

*Mathematisches Kolloquium *

**

*15:15-15:45 Uhr*

*Prof. Dr. Gunther Uhlmann ((Department ofMathematics, University of
Washington): *

*/"How to build Harry Potter's Cloak"/*

/Abstract: We describe theoretical and experimental progress on making
objectsinvisible to detection by electromagnetic waves, acoustic waves
and quantumwaves. We emphasize the method of transfor-mation optics. For
the case of electromagnetic waves, Maxwell's equations have
transformation laws that allow for design of electromagnetic materials
that steer light around a hidden region, returningit to its original
path on the far side. Not only would observers be unaware of the
contents of the hidden region, they would not even be aware that
something was being hidden. The object, which would have no shadow, is
said to be cloaked. We recount some of the history of the subject and
discuss some of the mathematical issues involved./

//

*Kaffejause*

**

*16:00-16:30 Uhr*

*Prof. Dr. Lenya Ryzhik (Department of Mathematics, Stanford University): *

*/"Kinetic models for waves in random media"/*

/Abstract: In many physical problems, waves propagate in media whose
fine details are inaccessible. Fortunately, often their precise
structure is also irrelevant for the macroscopic features of the wave.
That is, while the microstructure modifies the wave profile in a highly
non-trivial way, we may infer the macroscopic information about the wave
simply from the statistics of the medium inhomogeneities without the
need for their detailed nature. In such situations, kinetic models are
an effective way to model the energy evolution. I will describe some old
and recent results in this direction./

//

*Kaffejause***

**

*16:45-17:15 Uhr*

*Prof. Dr. Simon Arridge (Centre for Medical Image Computing, Univ.
College London)*

*/"Diffuse Optical and PhotoAcoustic Tomography"/*

/Abstract: //Tomographic imaging using light remains a topic of
increasing interest. One method is Diffuse Optical Tomography(DOT) in
which light is detected after transmission through a highly scattering
medium which is described by either a transport or a diffusion type
forward model. Since the light is detected on the boundary this
methodology is usually formulated as an inverse boundary value problem
and is exponetially ill-posed. By contrast, Phot Acoustic Tomography
(PAT) uses lightto create sound sources (by heat generated on optical
absorption)and image reconstruction consists of an inverse acoustic
source reconstruction, which can be done using conventional ultrasound
methods. In order to quantify the optical properties underlying the
sound generation it is necessary to couple models for optical and
acoustic propagation. In this talk I present some of our recent work on
these problems, utilising a non-linear algorithm for recovering optical
absorption coefficient./

//

*Univ.-Prof. Dr. Otmar Scherzer***

*Dekan Univ.-Prof. Dr. Harald Rindler*

*Montag, 5. Mai 2014 ab9:00 Uhr bis Freitag, 9. Mai 2014, ab 09:30 Uhr,
Erwin Schrödinger Lecture Hall, Boltzmanng. **9, 1090 Wien*

*Workshop on "Theoretical and Applied Computational Inverse Problems"*

*Organized by: L. Borcea, O. Scherzer, J.C. Schotland*

*siehe Anhang*
**

**

*Dienstag, 6. Mai 2014, von 11:15 Uhr bis 12:45 Uhr, SR 12,
Oskar-Morgenstern-Platz 1, *

*1090 Wien*

*Complex Analysis Seminar*

*Frank Kutzschebauch: "An Oka principle for equivariant isomorphisms"*

*http://www.univie.ac.at/complexanalysis/Activities/Seminar2014.html*

**

*Dienstag, 6. Mai 2014, von 15:00 Uhr bis 17:00 Uhr , Seminarraum 8, 2.
**Stock *

*Oskar-Morgenstern-Platz 1, 1090 Wien*

*Geometry and Analysis on Groups -- Research Seminar*

*Martin Finn-Sell(Univ. of Southampton): "Boundary a-T-menability for
large girth expander graphs"*

*http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~dosaj/GGTWien/Seminar.html*
<http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/%7Edosaj/GGTWien/Seminar.html>**

**

*Dienstag, 6. Mai 2014, ab 15:00 Uhr, SR 9Biomathematik,
Oskar-Morgenstern-Platz 1, *

*1090 Wien*

*Arbeitsgemeinschaft Biomathematik*

*Brian McLoone (KLI): "Individual and group fitness in the stag hunt
game**"*

**

*Dienstag, 6. Mai 2014, 19:00 Uhr, Institut Francais, Währingerstrasse
30, 1090 Wien*

*ThemenschwerpunktMATHEMATIK*

*Rudolf Taschner:" Mathematik als Leuchtfeuer der Aufklärung(Deutsch)"*

**

*Mittwoch, 7. Mai2014, von 15:00 Uhr bis 15:45 Uhr, **Skylounge (12.
**OG), *

*Oskar-Morgenstern-Platz 1, 1090 Wien*

*Lectures for Everybody*

*Karlheinz Gröchenig (Universität Wien): "The Kadison-Singer Conjecture"*

*organized by H. Hauser *

**

*Donnerstag, 8. Mai 2014, 10:30-12:00 Uhr, Besprechungszimmer 3 Stk.,
Oskar-Morgenstern-Platz 1, 1090 Wien*

*Geometry, Analysis and Physics (GAP)*

*Clemens Sämann **(Universität Wien)**: "On the interplay between
Geometry, Regularity and Causality"*

*Link: **http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~gap_seminar/*
<http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/%7Egap_seminar/>**

*Organized by M. Bauer , V. Branding, A. Burtscher, D. Fajman, F.
Genoud, J. Joudioux***

**

*Donnerstag, 8. Mai2014, von 16:00 Uhr bis 18:00 Uhr, Josephinum, *

*SR (Zi. O2.101), Währingerstr. 25, 1090 Wien*

*KGRC Research Seminar*
*Diego Alejandro Mejia Guzmán (KGRC): "Matrix iterations of ccc posets"*

**

*Donnerstag, 8. Mai 2014, von16:30 Uhr bis 18:00 Uhr, Seminarraum 101 C,
4. Stock, TU Wien, Wiedner Hauptstraße 8, 1040 Wien*

*ArbeitsgemeinschaftFinanzmathematik*

*Fabio Bellini: "Elicitable risk measures and expectiles"*

*Link: **http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/events/agfm/***

**

*Freitag, 9. Mai2014, um 12:15 Uhr, TU Institut für Diskrete Mathematik
und Geometrie, Freihaus, grüner Turm (A), 5. Stock, kleiner Seminarraum
(DA 05 C22), Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10, 1040 Wien*

*Algebra Seminar*

*Kostadinka Lapkova: "Class numbers of quadratic fields"*

**