[Vortraege] Vortragsankündigungen KW. 29

Danijela Radosavljevic Danijela.Radosavljevic at univie.ac.at
Fri Jul 12 15:42:55 CEST 2013

Sehr geehrte Fakultätsmitglieder,

anbei die Vortragsankündigungen für die kommende Woche, im Anhang finden
Sie den Text auch als PDF Datei.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Danijela Radosavljevic

Sekretariat
Institut für Mathematik
Universität Wien
Nordbergstr. 15, UZA 4
Tel: 43 1 4277 50629
Fax: 43 1 4277 9506

*Vortrag*

**

*Montag, 15. Juli 2013, ab 14:00 Uhr, Seminarraum C 209, UZA 4*

*Vortrag*

*Andrej Zlatoš (University of Wisconsin): "Reactive Processes in
Inhomogeneous Media"*

**

/_Abstract: _/

/We study fine details of spreading of reactive processes (e.g.,
combustion) in multi-dimensional inhomogeneous media.
One typically observes a transition from one stable state (e.g.,
unburned fuel) to another (e.g., burned fuel) to happen on short spatial
as well as temporal scales.
We demonstrate that this phenomenon also occurs in one of the simplest
models for reactive processes, reaction-diffusion equations with
ignition reaction functions
  (as well as with monostable reaction functions in a slightly weaker
form), under very general hypotheses./

//

/Specifically, we show that in up to three spatial dimensions, the width
(both in space and time) of the zone where reaction occurs stays
uniformly bounded
in time for some fairly general classes of initial data, and this bound
even becomes independent of the initial datum after an initial time
interval.
Such results have recently been obtained in one spatial dimension but
were unknown in higher dimensions.As one indication of the added
difficulties,
we also show that three dimensions is indeed the borderline case, and
the result is false for general inhomogeneous media in four and more
dimensions./

**

*Organized by G. Teschl *