[Vortraege] LaWiNe seminar on Sofic groups, January 25 in Vienna

Goulnara ARJANTSEVA goulnara.arzhantseva at univie.ac.at
Mon Jan 23 16:02:12 CET 2012

Dear Colleague,

This is a reminder on our next LaWiNe seminar on Sofic groups.

LaWiNe - Lausanne / Wien / Neuchâtel mathematical seminar on Sofic groups (and related subjects)
Funded by the Swiss NSF Sinergia grant CRSI22-130435, the seminar meets once per month, alternatively on the 3 sites.
Website: http://egg.epfl.ch/lawine/

Everybody is welcome!

-- Please inform me if you would like to join us for the lunch at 12:00.
-- If you need a hotel reservation please contact directly Martina Obermaier <Martina.Obermaier at univie.ac.at>

Wednesday 25 January 2012, 14:00–14:45 and 15:15–16:00
University of Vienna, Hörsaal 8 (UZA 2)

14:00 Swiatoslaw GAL (Wien),

Title: Surjunctive groups

Abstract: We will discuss group theoretic properties that preserve surjunctivity.  In particular, we will discuss semidirect products.

15:15: Viktor Harangi (Budapest)

Title: Benjamini-Shramm convergence, soficity and moments.

Abstract: A finitely generated group is sofic if its Cayley diagram (the Cayley graph edge-labeled with the generators) can be
approximated by finite diagrams. Here, approximation is meant in the so-called Benjamini-Schramm metric. We get a weaker notion of soficity
if we forget the edge-labels (that is, we want to approximate the Cayley graph of our group by finite graphs). In this talk I present an even weaker form of approximation, related to the moments of the spectral measure of the graphs. I will explain how this might help us deciding whether every group is sofic.

Best wishes,
Goulnara ARZHANTSEVA

Professor, University of Vienna
Faculty of Mathematics