[Vortraege] Vortragsankündigungen der komm. Woche (KW8)

Dekanat für Mathematik dekanat.mathematik at univie.ac.at
Fri Feb 13 13:27:44 CET 2009

Sehr geehrte Fakultätsmitglieder,

anbei die Vortragsankündigungen für die nächste Woche, im Anhang finden
Sie den Text auch als PDF Datei.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Margit Honkisz

Montag, 16. Februar, ab 9:15 Uhr bis Freitag, 20. Februar, WPI Wolfgang
Pauli Institut, Seminarraum C 207, Nordbergstraße 15
Workshop: Thematic Programme „Gyrokinetic Plasma Turbulence”
Responsible Organiser: Alexander Schekochihin (Imperial College)
SOC: C. Bourdelle, Y. Brenier, S. Cowley, W. Dorland, N. Mauser, S.
Nazarenko, A. Tsinober
Working Group Meeting “Kinetic Instabilities, Plasma Turbulence and
Magnetic Reconnection”
http://www.wpi.ac.at/activities_view.php?s=event

Dienstag, 17. Februar, 14:00 Uhr, Technische Universität Wien,
Seminarroom 184/2, Favoritenstraße 9-11, 3rd floor, staircase 3,  1040 Wien
Dr. Fang Wei
„Treewidth-based Index for Efficient Reachability Query Answering on
Digraphs“
Efficiently processing queries against very large graphs is an important
research topic largely driven by emerging real world applications, as
diverse as XML databases, GIS, web mining, social network analysis,
ontologies, and bioinformatics. In particular, graph reachability has
attracted a lot of research attention as reachability queries are not
only common on graph databases, but they also serve as fundamental
operations for many other graph queries. The main challenge of answering
reachability queries in howw to build efficient indices over the graphs
in order to achieve the best space/time performance. Many approaches
have been proposed for building indices on these graphs. However, due to
the large number of vertices in many real world graphs, the
computational cost and (index) size of the indices using existing
methods would prove too expensive to be practical. In this talk, we
introduce our ongoing work on a novel index structure based on the
treewidth of the underlying graph. We show that the size off the index
for the underlying graph remains linear and the reachability query can
be solved in $O(log n)$ where $n$ is the number of vertices in the
graph. We demonstrate empirically the effectiveness of our approach.