[VCEE Seminar] VCEE Seminar with Margaret Samahita - Invitation

Tue May 2 08:46:39 CEST 2023

Dear members and friends of the VCEE,

You are invited to attend the VCEE seminar on  Friday May 12, 2023, from 10:30 to 12:00 hrs Vienna time.

The seminar takes place in Seminar Room 14 (2nd floor) at Oskar-Morgenstern-Platz 1.

We will have one speaker: Margaret Samahita (University College Dublin), https://www.margaretsamahita.com/

Here is more information about the talk:

Title:
How does social pressure stifle free speech?

Abstract:
This paper studies public opinion in the contextof strong social norms. We present a model that highlights how social pressurecan affect the public expression of opinion either through a change in publiclystated views (conformity) or by inducing self-censorship (silence). In several pre-registeredonline experiments in the US, we elicit participants' views on twocontroversial issues (gender and race) and their willingness to publish theseviews online in an incentivized manner. The empirical patterns are consistentwith the presence of ideologically left-wing social norms: participants whoheld left-wing views were more willing to publish these. We then manipulatesocial pressure in three different ways. First, making participants aware ofthe prospect for publication results in conformity to the left-wing norm.Second, informing participants that a lower share of previous participants werewilling to publish their views results in a lower willingness to publish.Finally, priming participants with the threat of online social backlash reducestheir willingness to speak up (though explicit mention of "cancelculture" increases speaking up within a sub-sample).
If you are interested in meeting after the seminar (meeting slots of 30', room no 05.330) you can register via this link:

https://nuudel.digitalcourage.de/WtZ4NHAIesX8H1PI

Best regards,

Nora Brandes

--