[VCEE Seminar] VCEE Seminar 2.12.2022

Mon Nov 21 09:42:22 CET 2022

Dear members and friends of the VCEE,

you are invited to attend the VCEE seminar on Friday, Dec 2, 2022, HS 16
from 10:30 to 12:00 hrs Vienna time.

We will have one speaker: Fabio Tufano (Univ. of Leicester)

Here is more information about the talk:

Title:

Altruism in Networks: A Field Experiment on Social Closeness, Preferences
and Transfers

Abstract:

Altruism is a powerful force at work in human societies. Recently, a growing
literature has focused on altruistic actions embedded in increasingly
complex social structures. In fact, real-world altruism - such as
volunteering in a community or lending a hand to a neighbour - is
significantly influenced by the relationships between and actions of
individuals within a given social network. To further our understanding of
altruism in networks, we empirically explore the role of social closeness in
interpersonal relationships as a key driver of altruism. To this end, we
elicit relationship closeness in a real social network to investigate its
impact on giving in network settings with strategic interactions. Our
findings cast new light on the behavioural patterns and underlying
mechanisms of giving in networks. We find that social closeness has a
pivotal influence on interpersonal altruism, while individuals in networks
underestimate altruistic links between other individuals.

 If you are interested in meeting Fabio Tufano after the seminar (meeting
slots of 30' , room no 05.330 please register via this DFN-link:

https://terminplaner4.dfn.de/dUV8cUsUfz6YoWBD

Best regards,

Gabriele Prochaska