[VCEE Seminar] VCEE Seminar 4.11.2022

Mon Oct 24 10:26:05 CEST 2022

Dear members and friends of the VCEE,

you are invited to attend the VCEE seminar on Friday, Nov 4, 2022, HS 16
from 10:30 to 12:00 hrs Vienna time.

We will have one speaker: Maria Kogelnik (Univ. of Amsterdam)

Title:

Performance Feedback and Gender Differences in Persistence

Abstract:

The decision to persist in stratified career trajectories is often dynamic
in nature: people receive performance feedback and decide whether to persist
or to drop out. I show experimentally that men are on average 10 percentage
points more likely to persist in an environment that rewards high
performance than equally performing women who received the same feedback.
About one-third of this gap can be explained by gender differences in
beliefs about the future. In the laboratory as well as a field study, men
are more optimistic about their future performance even when compared to
women who are similarly confident about their past performance. Another 30%
of the gender gap in persistence is attributable to men seeking, and women
avoiding exposure to additional feedback.

Here is more information about the talk:

 If you are interested in meeting Maria Kogelnik after the seminar (meeting
slots of 30' , room no 05.330 please register via this doodle-link:

https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/b2x4GwKe

Best regards,

Gabriele Prochaska