[VCEE Seminar] reminder VCEE Seminar 14.10.2022

Mon Oct 10 09:47:47 CEST 2022

Dear members and friends of the VCEE,

you are invited to attend the VCEE seminar on Friday, Oct 14, 2022, from
10:30 to 12:00 hrs Vienna time.

We will have one speaker: Ingar Haaland (Norwegian School of Economics)

Here is more information about the talk:

Title:

The Demand for News: Accuracy Concerns versus Belief Confirmation Motives

Abstract:

We examine the relative importance of accuracy concerns and belief
confirmation motives in driving the demand for news. In experiments with US
respondents, we first vary beliefs about whether an outlet reports the news
in a right-wing biased, left-wing biased, or unbiased way. We then measure
demand for a newsletter covering articles from this outlet. Respondents only
reduce their demand for biased news if the bias is inconsistent with their
own political beliefs, suggesting a trade-off between accuracy concerns and
belief confirmation motives. We quantify this trade-off using a structural
model and find a similar quantitative importance of both motives.

 If you are interested in meeting Ingar Haaland after the seminar (meeting
slots of 30' , room no 05.330 please register via this doodle-link:

https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/el5yJN5a

Best regards,

Gabriele Prochaska