[VCEE Seminar] reminder VCEE Seminar 13.5.2022

Mon May 9 10:14:07 CEST 2022

Dear all,

You are cordially invited to attend the VCEE seminar on Friday, May 13  from
10:30-12:00 (HS 16)

Michal Bauer (CERGE-EI&Charles University Prague)

Title: Spreading consensus: Correcting misperceptions about the views of the
medical community has lasting impacts on Covid-19 vaccine take-up (with
Vojtěch Bartoš, Jana Cahlíková, Julie Chytilová)

Abstract: Identifying sources of vaccine hesitancy is one of the central
challenges in fighting the Covid-19 pandemic. In this study, we focus on the
role of public misperceptions of doctors' views. Motivated by widespread
concern that media reports create uncertainty in how people perceive expert
opinions, even when broad consensus exists, we elicited trust in Covid-19
vaccines held by 9,650 doctors in the Czech Republic. We found evidence of a
strong consensus: 90% of doctors trust the vaccines. Next, we conducted a
nationally representative survey (N=2,101), and document systemic
misperceptions of doctors' views: more than 90% of respondents underestimate
doctors' trust; the most common belief is that only 50% of doctors trust the
vaccines. Finally, we integrate randomized provision of information about
the true views held by doctors into a longitudinal data collection, and
regularly measure its impacts on vaccine take-up during a nine-month period
when the vaccines were gradually rolled out. We find that the treatment
recalibrates beliefs and leads to a lasting and stable increase in vaccine
demand: individuals who receive the information are 4 percentage points more
likely to be vaccinated nine months after the intervention. This paper
illuminates how the engagement of professional medical associations, with
their unparalleled capacity to elicit individual views of doctors on a large
scale, can help to create a cheap, scalable intervention that corrects
misperceptions and has lasting impacts on behavior.

 If you are interested in meeting Michal Bauer  after the seminar (meeting
slots of 30' , room no 05.330 please register via this doodle-link:

doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/ejRVXWye/vote

Best

Gabi