[VCEE Seminar] AES Seminar 8.3.2022

Mon Feb 28 10:10:59 CET 2022

Dear all,

I am happy to inform you that Andrea Weber will give the next talk in the
Applied Economics Seminar on Tuesday, March 8, from 13.15-14.30h.

Internal Labor Markets: A Worker Flow Approach
joint with Ingrid Huitfeldt, Andreas Kostol, Jan Nimczik

Abstract: This paper develops a new method to study how workers' career and
wage profiles are shaped
by internal labor markets (ILM) and job hierarchies in firms. Our paper
tackles the conceptual challenge of
organizing jobs within firms into hierarchy levels by proposing a
data-driven ranking method based on observed
worker flows between occupations within firms. We apply our method to linked
employer-employee
data from Norway that records fine-grained occupational codes and tracks
contract changes within firms.
Our findings confirm existing evidence that is primarily based on case
studies for single firms. We expand on
this by documenting substantial heterogeneity in the structure and hierarchy
of ILMs across a broad range of
large firms. Our findings on wage and promotion dynamics in ILMs are
consistent with models of careers in
organizations.

Room: Seminar room in the VGSE

If you are interested in meeting the speaker please enlist in the
doodle-link below (office No. 05.303)

https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/mbkwn2rb

Best regards,

Gabi