[VCEE Seminar] VCEE Seminar 3.12.2021

Mon Nov 22 09:45:07 CET 2021

Dear members and friends of the VCEE,

You are invited to attend the VCEE seminar on Friday, December 3, 2021, from
10:30 to 12:00 hrs Vienna time.

We will have one speaker: Julie Chytilová (Institute of Economic Studies,
Charles University)

This seminar will be held online via Zoom.

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://univienna.zoom.us/j/98933344042?pwd=eUh3RElJaG83Z0svSjlnaUhRSmtZdz09

Meeting ID: 989 3334 4042
Passcode: 971767

I invite you stay on after the talk to discuss the presented paper with
Julie Chytilová.

You'll need to install Zoom in order to join the seminar.

If you don't have Zoom already, you can simply click right now on the link
above; you'll then be prompted to install it.
If you already have Zoom you can also use the following information:

The schedule is:
- 10:15: the waiting room opens
- 10:25: we let everyone into the seminar room
- 10:30--11:30: Julie Chytilová's talk
- Afterwards open discussion with everyone

Here is more information about the talk:

Speaker:
Julie Chytilová (Institute of Economic Studies, Charles University)

Title:
Nastiness in Groups

Abstract:
This paper provides evidence showing that people are more prone to engage in
nasty behavior, malevolently causing financial harm to other people at own
costs, when they make decisions on behalf of a group rather than when making
choices individually on their own. We establish this behavioral regularity
in four large-scale experiments among adolescents, university students and a
nationally representative sample of adults (N = 7,426). We test several
potential mechanisms, and the results suggest that the “destructiveness
shift” in groups is driven by lower perception of individual responsibility,
in line with self-signaling models.

Best regards,
Wieland Müller