[VCEE Seminar] VCEE seminar 18.06.2021 online

Mon Jun 14 05:57:21 CEST 2021

Dear members and friends of the VCEE,
you are invited to attend the VCEE seminar on Friday, June 18, 2021, from 10:00 to 11:30 hrs Vienna time.

We will have one speaker: Daniele Nosenzo (Arhus University)

This seminar will be held online via Zoom.

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://univienna.zoom.us/j/88243069732?pwd=bnVSa2h4VlhPbmdONjF5WlVoVmRsZz09

*I invite you stay on after the talk to discuss the presented paper*

You'll need to install Zoom in order to join the seminar.

If you don't have Zoom already, you can simply click right now on the link above; you'll then be prompted to install it.
If you already have Zoom you can also use the following information:

Meeting ID: 882 4306 9732
Passcode: 5Xi5JS

If you need help, feel free to contact Philipp (philipp.kuelpmann at univie.ac.at<mailto:philipp.kuelpmann at univie.ac.at>)

The schedule is:
- 9:40: the waiting room opens
- 9:55: we let everyone into the seminar room
- 10:00--11:00: Presentation
- Afterwards open discussion with everyone

Here is more information about the talk:

Title: Equal before the (expressive power of) law? (joint work with Luise Goerges, Tom Lane and Silvia Sonderegger)
Abstract: Building on findings showing that laws exert a causal effect on social norms, this paper investigates whether this "expressive power of law" differs by gender or race. Using an incentivized vignette experiment, we directly measure social norms relating to actions subject to legal thresholds (e.g., driving above/below speed limit; possession of marijuana above/below legal limit; etc.) and vary the gender and race of the person engaging in the action or of the person affected by the action. Results from an online sample of around 4000 subjects confirm that laws causally influence social norms. However, we find little evidence of a differential effect of the law on norms across gender or race, suggesting that gender and race biases in the legal system are driven by other mechanisms than differences in the expressive power of law.

Best regards,
Wieland Müller

--

Sandra Weißenböck