[VCEE Seminar] VCEE seminar 29.01.2021 online

Mon Jan 18 06:45:07 CET 2021

Dear members and friends of the VCEE,

You are invited to attend the VCEE seminar on Friday, January 29, 2021, from 10:00 to 11:30 hrs Vienna time.

We will have one speaker: Alexander Ritschel (U Zurich)

This seminar will be held online via Zoom.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88243069732?pwd=bnVSa2h4VlhPbmdONjF5WlVoVmRsZz09

I invite you stay on after the talk to discuss the presented paper with Alexander Ritschel.

You'll need to install Zoom in order to join the seminar.
If you don't have Zoom already, you can simply click right now on the link above; you'll then be prompted to install it.
If you already have Zoom you can also use the following information:
Meeting ID: 882 4306 9732
Passcode: 5Xi5JS
If you need help, feel free to contact Philipp (philipp.kuelpmann at univie.ac.at<mailto:philipp.kuelpmann at univie.ac.at>).

The schedule is:
- 9:40: the waiting room opens
- 9:55: we let everyone into the seminar room
- 10:00--11:00: Menusch Khadjavi's talk
- Afterwards open discussion with everyone

Here is more information about the talk:

Title: Attention and Salience in Preference Reversals

Abstract: The preference reversal phenomenon, where monetary evaluations contradict risky choices, has been argued to arise due to differences in the salience of the outcome states (Salience Theory; Bordalo et al., 2012). Salience Theory argues that subjective probability weights of outcome states depend on the salience of those states, leading to larger overpricing of long-shot options compared to safer options during the evaluation phase. Such an explanation makes the implicit assumption that attentional shifts might drive the phenomenon. We conducted two pre-registered experiments, an online study (N = 256) and an eye-tracking study (N = 64), in which we investigate salience and attention in preference reversals, manipulating salience through presence of an alternative lottery in the evaluation phase.
Best regards,
Wieland Müller