[VCEE Seminar] VCEE seminar 16.10.2020 online

Mon Oct 12 10:26:37 CEST 2020

Dear members and friends of the VCEE,

You are invited to attend the VCEE seminar on Friday, October 16, 2020, from 10:00 to 11:30 hrs Vienna time.

We will have one speaker: Anastasia Danilov (Humboldt University at Berlin).

This seminar will be held online via Zoom.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89587962948?pwd=MEZnYzZJTGMyQzd2RnJVNHg5Z0Jhdz09
I invite you stay on after the talk to discuss the presented paper with Anastasia.

You'll need to install Zoom in order to join the seminar.
If you don't have Zoom already, you can simply click right now on the link above; you'll then be prompted to install it.
If you already have Zoom you can also use the following information:

Meeting ID: 895 8796 2948

Passcode: QKQC6h
If you need help, feel free to contact Philipp (philipp.kuelpmann at univie.ac.at<mailto:philipp.kuelpmann at univie.ac.at>).

The schedule is:
- 9:40: the waiting room opens
- 9:55: we let everyone into the seminar room
- 10:00--11:00: Anastasia Danilov's talk
- Afterwards open discussion with everyone

Here is more information about the talk:

Anastasia Danilov

Title: “Affirmative Action Policies, Productive Effort, and Sabotage in Tournaments: An Experiment”

Abstract: The main aim of affirmative action (AA) policies in tournaments is to enable disadvantaged groups to compete with their privileged counterparts. Existing research documents that incorporating AA can result in more egalitarian outcomes and higher efforts. However, the effects of the introduction and removal of AA are open questions. Also unclear is how the frame of AA, as a head-start for a disadvantaged group or a handicap to the privileged group, affect behavior. We examine these questions experimentally in which subjects participate in a real-effort tournament and have the opportunity to sabotage each other. The ability-based AA (head-start or handicap) is either introduced or cancelled in the middle of the experiment. We find that ‘balanced’ competition does not necessarily motivate the contestants to work harder. Especially, high performers who had some previous competition experience in an AA free environment, reduce their effort after the introduction of AA. Additionally, we observe less sabotage under the AA regimes when the competition started right away under the AA conditions. However, the cancellation of AA significantly intensifies the sabotage. Finally, there are no systematic differences in reactions towards the handicap and the head-start.
Best regards,
Wieland Müller