[VCEE Seminar] VCEE Mailing List

Thu Oct 18 13:18:29 CEST 2018

Dear all,
You are cordially invited to attend the VCEE seminar on Friday, Oct 12  from 10:00-12:00 (SR 1, Ground floor). We have two speakers: Alexander Sebald (U Koppenhagen) and Melanie Parravano (U Newcastle)

10:00-11:00 Alexander Sebald (U Kopenhagen)
Titel: Testing for salience effects in choices under risk
Abstract: Recent economic literature acknowledges the fact that our attention is predictively drawn to specific features of our environment. We experimentally investigate a prominent approach to model limited attention in decision making: SalienceTheory, proposed by Bordalo et al. (2012b, 2013a). We specifically design a risky choice experimental environment which allows us to control for a large array of alternative theories of behavior. Our experimental results are in line with the behavioral hypothesis of Salience Theory which posits that decision makers base their decisions on decision weights that distort the prospects' actual probabilities in favor of the salient consequences.

If you are interested in meeting Alexander Sebald after the seminar (meeting slots of 30’ , room no 05.510 (Lounge Zimmer) please register via this doodle-link:
https://doodle.com/poll/ba6f79dv4fsf2yny

11:00-12:00 Melanie Parravano (U Newcastle)
Financial Contagion in the Laboratory: Does Network Structure Matter?

Abstract: We explore the role of interbank network structure and premature liquidation costs for the likelihood of financial contagions in a laboratory experiment. We consider complete versus incomplete networks of banks linked together by interbank deposits, and we further vary premature liquidation costs. Subjects play the role of depositors deciding whether or not to withdraw funds from their interconnected bank. We find that when liquidation costs are high, a complete network structure is significantly less vulnerable to financial contagions than an incomplete network structure. However, when liquidation costs are low, network structure is less important for the frequency of financial contagions.

If you are interested in meeting Melanie Parravano  after the seminar (meeting slots of 30’ , room no 05.307 (Merz) please register via this doodle-link:

https://doodle.com/poll/nqbi65a4q4v5kp5f

Best regards,
Gabriele Prochaska

University of Vienna