[PLing] Fw: A talk by our Visiting Professor Jesse Snedeker (CEU, Harvard) on 'Top-down prediction in language comprehension: a handful of facts and a mystery' - Wednesday, Sept 21, 2022 4pm (CET) - D001 tiered QS Vienna and Zoom

Eva Wittenberg WittenbergE at ceu.edu
Fri Sep 16 13:40:34 CEST 2022

Dear colleagues, liebe Kolleginnen und Kollegen,

The CEU Department of Cognitive Science cordially invites you to its talk by our:

Visiting Professor Jesse Snedeker (CEU, Harvard) <https://psychology.fas.harvard.edu/people/jesse-snedeker>

“Top-down prediction in language comprehension: a handful of facts and a mystery"

Over the last thirty years, psycholinguists have converged on a model of language comprehension in which perceptual input (e.g., sounds) incrementally activates higher level representations (e.g., possible messages) resulting in predictions of upcoming information at the lower levels (e.g., words or even sounds). I’ll report on some studies that probe the development, universality and limits of this system by looking at prediction in naturalistic tasks with diverse populations (children, signers, and bilinguals).  I’ll introduce a new method of collecting EEG data. Along the way I’ll try to integrate the developmental studies with my earlier work using the visual world paradigm.  But I’ll end with as many questions as answers.

We look forward to seeing you there!

PLEASE NOTE: anyone not affiliated with CEU wishing to attend in person must RSVP through the link below in order to get access to the lecture theatre:

https://forms.office.com/r/cuTf2X7YmT