[PLing] [anglistik-institut] Fwd: Stipends for PhD in Humanities at The Education University of Hong Kong, Deadline 1 December

Barbara Seidlhofer barbara.seidlhofer at univie.ac.at
Tue Nov 29 13:30:31 CET 2022

Dear colleagues,

I received this today and am forwarding in case you know of potential
candidates - stipends for PhD study are not easy to find after all.

Best wishes
Barbara/Seidlhofer

Betreff: 	Pursuing a PhD in Humanities at The Education University of
Hong Kong
Datum: 	Tue, 29 Nov 2022 09:54:38 +0000
Von: 	WANG, Lixun [LML] <lixun at eduhk.hk>
An: 	barbara.seidlhofer at univie.ac.at <barbara.seidlhofer at univie.ac.at>

Dear Barbara,

Our Department is doing a writing campaign to promote our PhD programme,
I’m forwarding the message to you. If possible, would you please help to
disseminate it to your MA students or whoever might be interested? The
application deadline is Dec. 1, sorry that it is a bit late, as our
department just sent the message to us. Many thanks!

Best wishes,

Lixun

Dear colleagues,

Warm regards from the Department of Linguistics and Modern Language
Studies (LML). We are seeking quality PhD students to study at the
Education University of Hong Kong.

I would like to bring to your attention our PhD programme in the
Department ofLML, which is funded by the *Hong Kong government’s PhD
Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS).* I would truly appreciate it if you could
disseminate this message to your students, especially those who have
just completed, or are about to complete their Master’s studies.

Please invite them to consider our PhD programmes. We welcome original
and innovative research proposals.  When admitted, the *package* is as
follows:

•Stipend: HK$27,100 (approx. US$3,480; Euro€3,525) monthly or HK$325,200
(approx. US$41,690; Euro$42,300) annually

•Conference and Research-related Travel Allowance: HK$13,600 (approx.
US$1,740; Euro€1,800) per year for a maximum of three years

•Opportunities for international networking, especially with other Asian
countries and with China

•Opportunities to apply for more research scholarship provided by EdUHK
or in HK

*The Education University of Hong Kong*has been a premier higher
education institution dedicated to the advancement of learning and
teaching, through a diverse offering of academic and research programmes
on teacher education and complementary social sciences and humanities
disciplines. *The Faculty of Humanities* is a hub for advanced research
in*linguistics, language education, history, modern languages,
philosophy, literary studies (English and Chinese), creative writing,
and cultural studies*. For details about our Faculty you can visit our
website: http://www.eduhk.hk/fhm <http://www.eduhk.hk/fhm>.

LML has had international PhD students fromKazakhstan, Vietnam, etc.,
doing research on language acquisition, corpus linguistics,
multilingualism and so on. You can also visit our website
<https://www.eduhk.hk/lml/research-and-knowledge-transfer/research-student-training>to
know more about our staff’s research and research students’ training.
The following is the research topics of our current and past PhD students.

·Demonstratives in Lianhua Gan: Morphosyntax, Semantics, and Evolution

·Chinese undergraduate students' discourse competence in English
argumentative writing: An analysis of two cases

·Enhancing Self-Regulated Learning in Blended Academic Writing Course:
The role of learner training

·Language attitude and use in Modern Kazakhstan

·L1 and L2 Comprehension of Russian Syntactically Ambiguous Participial
Relative Clause Sentences

·“Wo chang gei ni ting (我唱给你听)”: A corpus-based comparison of a special
/give/-construction in Mandarin and Cantonese

Our academic staff, who come from different background and specialities,
are dedicated to providing strong supervisory support to PhD students,
connecting them with relevant academic circles and networks, and
providing advice on conferencing, publications, and other professional
development.

We welcome applications from September 1 to *_December 1, 2022_*;
results will be announced in April/May 2023 for admission in September
2023. For more details concerning the application procedure, please
visit the website of the Graduate School
<https://www.eduhk.hk/gradsch/index.php/prospective-students/research-postgraduate-programmes.html>.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions that you or your
students may have. For interested students, please invite them to visit
our website
<https://www.eduhk.hk/fhm/research-and-knowledge-transfer/fhm-researchers>for
profiles of our selected faculty researchers
<https://www.eduhk.hk/fhm/research-and-knowledge-transfer/fhm-researchers>.I
am happy to provide advice and suggestions to prospective applicants.

Many thanks for your kind assistance to spread the word.

With best wishes,

Andy Chin

Head, Department ofLML

A Note for Sharing:

Dr Marvin Li (former PhD student of LML)

/“Studying a PhD at EdUHK has enriched and enlightened my thoughts and
opened a new career path.” /

Dr WANG Lixun

Associate Dean (International Engagement)

Department of Linguistics and Modern Language Studies

Faculty of Humanities

The Education University of Hong Kong

10 Lo Ping Road, Tai Po, N.T., Hong Kong

Tel: +852-29487235

Email: lixun at eduhk.hk <mailto:lixun at eduhk.hk>

--
Univ.Prof.i.R. Dr. Barbara Seidlhofer
Institut fuer Anglistik der Universitaet Wien