[PLing] Round Table, Talk and Rooftop Drinks!

Lena Lohninger lena.lohninger at gmx.at
Thu May 19 13:27:59 CEST 2022

Dear everyone!

Our FWF project group (Susanne Wurmbrand, Iva Kovač, Magdalena
Lohninger) welcomes Irina Burukina (assistant professor at the Eötvös
Loránd University in Budapest and Postdoctoral Researcher at the
Hungarian Research Centre for Linguistics) as a guest researcher at the
Linguistics Institute for the next two weeks.

We are planning a couple of events for her stay to which we want to
cordially invite everyone who is interested:

1)*ROUND TABLE ~ Tuesday, 24.05.,* 13.30 - approx. 16.30, Seminarraum 7,
Sensengasse 3A: Round Table for discussions about the academic life:
Students can ask questions about anything concerning an academic career
in linguistics (e.g. publications, conferences, abstracts, jobs,
studying abroad, funds and grants, summer schools, work-life balance, …)
Students at all stages of their degree are welcome, both participating
or just listening, dropping in later or leaving sooner.
Panel:
~ Irina Burukina (Eötvös Loránd University)
~ Jonathan Bobaljik (Harvard University)
~ Sabine Laszakovits (University of Conneticut)
~ FWF project team (Susi Wurmbrand, Magdalena Lohninger, Iva Kovač//)

-2) *TALK ~ Wednesday, 25.05.,* 17.00, HS1, Sensengasse 3A: Talk by
Irina Burukina on *When dative subjects and agreement in infinitival
clauses depend on an external adposition* (Abstract see below). The talk
will take place in a hybrid fashion; if you plan to attend online,
please contact the organizers (magdalena.lohninger at univie.ac.at or
iva.kovac at univie.ac.at ) for the Zoom link.

-3) *PARTY ~ Sunday, 29.05.*, starting at 18.00, Dachterasse,
Sensengasse 3A: Party! We invite everyone to have a Sunday-evening drink
with us over the roofs of Vienna at our nice Institute rooftop terrace.
To make it easier for us to plan drinks, please send a quick note to the
organizers (magdalena.lohninger at univie.ac.at or iva.kovac at univie.ac.at )
if you are planning to attend.

Abstract Irina Burukina
*When dative subjects and agreement in infinitival clauses depend on an
external adposition*

The talk focuses on the infinitival clauses in Meadow Mari (Uralic;
head-final, SOV) that allow overt subjects and/or agreement on the
infinitive. I will outline a novel analysis whereby embedded subjects in
Mari are exceptionally licensed by a silent dative postposition (PDAT)
heading the infinitival clause, which is also responsible for AGR. Thus,
it is only in the presence of the P head that the two phenomena become
possible. I will further put the data into a broader context. First, I
will discuss the well-known analyses that postulate that the non-finite
T has special Case/Agr properties and show that, although these
approaches appear to match the data, they fail to make valid predictions
when it comes to Mari. Second, I will demonstrate how studying the
infinitival clauses improves our understanding of the syntax of
postpositional constructions in general.

We hope to see many of you at all or at some of the events!

Kindest regards,
Susanne Wurmbrand, Iva Kovač and Magdalena Lohninger