[PLing] Einladung/Invitation: Kolloquium von Heike Wiese (HU Berlin) an der CEU

Eva Wittenberg WittenbergE at ceu.edu
Mon Jan 31 11:27:58 CET 2022

Liebe KollegInnen, dear collaegues (English version below),

ich freue mich, Sie herzlich zu unserem Institutskolloquium<https://events.ceu.edu/2022-02-09/communicative-situations-basis-linguistic-systems> am 9. Februar um 16:00 Uhr s.t. einladen zu dürfen:

Communicative situations as a basis for linguistic systems

Heike Wiese (Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin)

Ein Abstract befindet sich am Ende dieser Email, der Zoom-Link lautet: https://ceu-edu.zoom.us/j/98680025223?pwd=WjRYN3Bqb1MveFQyZG1qSWVpZnJiQT09<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://ceu-edu.zoom.us/j/98680025223?pwd%3DWjRYN3Bqb1MveFQyZG1qSWVpZnJiQT09&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw0mW-UNnIcnPfRRCNxou9uq>

Meeting ID: 986 8002 5223

Passcode: cZ2UCJ

Ich würde mich sehr darüber freuen, möglichst viele von Ihnen virtuell an der Central European University in Wien begrüßen zu dürfen!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Eva Wittenberg

lcl.ceu.edu<http://lcl.ceu.edu/>

Department of Cognitive Science
Central European University
Quellenstr. 51, 1110 Wien, Austria

Dear colleagues,

I am delighted to invite you to our Department’s colloquium<https://events.ceu.edu/2022-02-09/communicative-situations-basis-linguistic-systems> on February 9th, 4pm:

Communicative situations as a basis for linguistic systems

Heike Wiese (Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin)

Please find an abstract below; the zoom link is: https://ceu-edu.zoom.us/j/98680025223?pwd=WjRYN3Bqb1MveFQyZG1qSWVpZnJiQT09<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://ceu-edu.zoom.us/j/98680025223?pwd%3DWjRYN3Bqb1MveFQyZG1qSWVpZnJiQT09&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw0mW-UNnIcnPfRRCNxou9uq>

Meeting ID: 986 8002 5223

Passcode: cZ2UCJ

I would be very happy to welcome many of you virtually at Central European University in Vienna!

Sincerely,

Eva Wittenberg

lcl.ceu.edu<http://lcl.ceu.edu/>

Department of Cognitive Science
Central European University
Quellenstr. 51, 1110 Wien, Austria

Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm

Speaker

Prof. Dr. Heike Wiese (Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin)<https://www.linguistik.hu-berlin.de/de/institut/professuren/multilinguale-kontexte/mitarbeiter/HeikeWiese>

Communicative situations as a basis for linguistic systems

I discuss two research strands in linguistics that rarely talk to each other: (1) sociolinguistic approaches to linguistic variability and multi-competence that dispute the existence of bound ‘languages’ and grammatical systems, and (2) theoretical linguistics focusing on grammatical analysis within distinct varieties. I argue that both approaches capture important aspects of language, and show that we can reconcile insights from these two strands. I present a linguistic architecture that takes communicative situations (‘comm-sits’) as the core of linguistic systematicity, and integrates comm-sits into lexical representations. I illustrate this with examples from “free-range language”: language in settings that are less confined by normative ideologies of monolingualism and linguistic purity. Drawing on insights from such settings, I show that comm-sits can form the basis for linguistic coherence and grammatical systems, while languages can emerge as optional sociolinguistic indices.