[PLing] CfP: Workshop “The syntax of causative, perception and restructuring verbs in Romance and Latin” (Palermo, 26.-27. Mai 2022)

Peter Herbeck peter.herbeck at univie.ac.at
Thu Jan 13 19:54:41 CET 2022

The University of Palermo organises a workshop on “The Syntax of
Causative, Perception, and Restructuring Verbs in Romance and Latin”
which is to be held on May 26-27, 2022. It is part of the annual SCUPs
(Syntactic Conferences at the University of Palermo).

The aim of this workshop is to deepen our empirical and theoretical
knowledge on the syntax of infinitives, gerunds and pseudo-relative
clauses with causative, perception and restructuring verbs in Romance
languages and varieties, as well as on older stages, starting from
Latin, and on the diachronic path that led to an evolution within these
constructions.

Invited Speakers:
- Pilar P. Barbosa (U do Minho)
- Adriana Belletti (Siena)
- Pierluigi Cuzzolin (Bergamo)
- Maria-Teresa Guasti (U Bicocca, Milan)
- Adam Ledgeway (Cambridge)
- Alexandru Nicolae (Bucharest)
- Francisco Ordóñez (Stony Brook)
- Esther Rinke (Frankfurt)

For more information, please visit our webpage
(https://sites.google.com/unipa.it/scup22).

*Call for Papers:*

We invite abstracts for presentations on all topics related to our
general aim, both from a synchronic or diachronic perspective. We
particularly welcome presentations that compare different constructions,
languages, or both; as well as presentations that deal with Latin or
with the diachronic evolution that led to the actual situation. The
abstracts may – but do not have to – address the following topics:
- Causative, perception and restructuring constructions in Latin, and
the presence/absence of transparency effects;
- Diachronic perspectives (evolution of the relevant configurations and
their properties, grammaticalization, etc.);
- The syntactic analysis of infinitives with causative, perception and
restructuring verbs (ECM, raising-to-object, control, monoclausal vs.
biclausal analysis, etc.);
- Structural integration of the finite or non-finite clause
(subordination, adjunction, small clause analysis, etc.);
- The status of the causee/‘perceivee’ (‘accusative subject’ of the
infinitival clause or internal argument of the matrix verb?);
- Inter-speaker and cross-linguistic (intra-Romance) variation;
- Insights from lesser studied varieties of Romance;
- Corpus-based and experimental approaches on structures with causative,
perception and restructuring verbs;
- Acquisition of causative, perception and restructuring constructions
by L1 and L2-speakers.

*Submission Guidelines:*
Abstracts should be anonymous and no longer than two pages (12-point
type, single line spacing, 2.5cm margins), including examples, tables
and references. The file should be anonymous both in the body of the
text and in the filename. Submissions are limited to a maximum of one
individual and one joint abstract, or two joint abstracts, per author.

The language of the conference is English.

The abstracts should be submitted on easyabstracts in pdf-format no
later than January 31, 2022.
Submission Link: http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/scup22

Contact: scup22palermo at gmail.com

Organizing Committee:
Jan Casalicchio (Palermo), Peter Herbeck (Wuppertal & Wien), Annamaria
Bartolotta (Palermo), Laura Conte (Palermo), Gabriele Ganau (Palermo),
Castrenze Nigrelli (Palermo)