[PLing] WSG: Clemens, "Syntactic ergativity as a constraint against crossing-dependencies", 26. 4. (online)

Laura Grestenberger laura.grestenberger at univie.ac.at
Wed Apr 20 13:01:22 CEST 2022

Liebe PLing-Liste,

Ich möchte Euch/Sie gerne auf den nächsten Vortrag der Wiener
Sprachgesellschaft hinweisen, der am 26.4. um 18.30h via Zoom
stattfindet. Lauren Clemens (University at Albany, New York) spricht
über "Syntactic ergativity as a constraint against
crossing-dependencies" (joint work with Rebecca Tollan), das Abstract
ist weiter unten bzw. in der Ankündigung im Anhang zu finden.

Der Link zum Zoom-Raum:

https://univienna.zoom.us/j/63190719501?pwd=VlBtcXV0SEo3cTJ1eEpNRGhnZmRsQT09

Meeting ID: 631 9071 9501

Kenncode: 246693

Interessierte sind herzlich willkommen!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Laura Grestenberger

-----------------
Abstract: The absolutive inversion account of syntactic ergativity
maintains that the position of the absolutive object above the merge
site of the ergative subject renders the ergative subject inaccessible
to movement (Murusagi 1992, Bittner and Hale 1995, Aldridge 2004; Coon
et al. 2014, Coon et al. 2019, and others). Tollan and Clemens (to
appear) builds on this theory of syntactic ergativity by revisiting the
question of why absolutive inversion results in the inability of the
ergative argument to undergo A'-bar movement. In this talk, I will
present our account of syntactic ergativity, which is based on the
grammaticalization of a processing-based preference for nested as
compared to crossing dependencies. More precisely, ergative subject
extraction restrictions arise, because such movement would cross the
prior A'-
movement path of the absolutive object and create an illicit crossed
dependency. We further predict that arguments merged between the
A-movement tails of the absolutive DP cannot extract, whereas arguments
merged above or below them can. In developing an approach to syntactic
ergativity grounded in sentence processing, we highlight the need for
deeper conversation between formal, typological, and processing-driven
syntax.

--
Dr. Laura Grestenberger
Elise-Richter-Fellow, Institute of Iranian Studies, Austrian Academy of