[PLing] Slovak-Austrian Philosophy of Language Network: Talk by Mirco Sambrotta on empty names on Friday, 18 June 2021 13.15h

Max Kölbel max.koelbel at univie.ac.at
Mon Jun 14 20:10:21 CEST 2021

Dear Colleagues and Friends, dear VLM group,

The Slovak-Austrian Philosophy of Language Network (https://danzeman.weebly.com/slovak-austrian-cooperation.html) invites you to an online talk on Friday, 18 June 2021 at 13.15h (Central European Summer Time):

Mirco Sambrotta (Slovak Academy of Sciences):

“Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"

What are we doing when we use empty names, and when we recognize others using them? Do we use all of them in the same way? Is even one and the same empty name used always in the same way? With the help of a story about my little nephew and a non-existent cat called ‘Fufi’, I will attempt to address such thorny (and long-standing) issues by providing a naturalist account of empty names, that is, an account that does not necessarily commit us to the existence of entities that hardly fit into the world as described by science. According to this view, empty names are not names at all (at least not proper names) but, within intensional contexts, they may behave as though they were proper names. A de dicto report enables the ascriber to make explicit the ascribee's intentional act of using an empty name as if it were a proper name - even though, from the point of view of the ascriber, it is recognized as being just an unsuccessful or pretended act of reference. However, since the ascriber is aware that the expression cannot be used referentially, she cannot say what the intentional object is for the ascribee (although she can say that, for the ascribee, it is an object, the relevant expression is used as a proper name, it refers to an object and so on). Accordingly, the ascriber cannot report what the content of the ascribee’s intentional state is (although she can say that the relevant sentence expresses a singular proposition for the ascribee.) This, I think, can be a way of conceiving the opacity of such intentional contexts and ascriptions.

ZOOM LINK:

Topic: Slovak-Austrian cooperation
Time: This is a recurring meeting Meet anytime

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87099797517?pwd=NGxhcHhsMjVaNWEzNGtoN2NhRDByQT09

Meeting ID: 870 9979 7517
Passcode: 448626

We look forward to welcoming you there.

Please note also the following event, taking place earlier the same day:

Philosophy of Language in Austria COLLOQUIUM

Katharina Felka and Dirk Kindermann are cordially inviting everyone interested to the following colloquium, hosted at the University of Graz:

Friday, the 18th of June

09.15 - 10:45 Andreas Stokke ’Sharing fictional names’ with comments by Max Kölbel
10:45 - 11:00 Break
11:00 - 12:30 Edgar Onea 'What I know, you cannot say. About the meaning of embedded questions‘ with comments by Viola Schmitt

Zoom link:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84102902142?pwd=NFJCblROMXhQMUdmdlloa01pWkZ5Zz09 <https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84102902142?pwd=NFJCblROMXhQMUdmdlloa01pWkZ5Zz09>

Meeting-ID: 841 0290 2142
Kenncode: 3wwYWY

This colloquium had initially been planned for May 2020, was then postponed several times, and is now taking place on Zoom.

Anyone interested welcome!

Max Kölbel

Institut für Philosophie
Universität Wien