[PLing] Erinnerung: Vortrag Yanovich (8. 6.), "Evolutionary methods in historical linguistics: forward-time and backward-time analysis"

Laura Grestenberger laura.grestenberger at univie.ac.at
Mon Jun 7 10:06:29 CEST 2021

Liebe PLing-Liste,

Ich möchte gerne nochmals an den morgigen WSG-Vortrag von Igor Yanovich
(Tübingen, PI DFG Emmy Noether research group "Modal systems in the
historical Slavic languages",
http://www.sfs.uni-tuebingen.de/~yanovich/) erinnern. Der Titel ist
"Evolutionary methods in historical linguistics: forward-time and
backward-time analysis" vor. Das Abstract finden Sie in der Ankündigung
im Anhang und weiter unten in der Email.

Der Link zum Raum:
https://univienna.zoom.us/j/91578136358?pwd=b1FmUXJjeVQ3RnVWVk5YUytHdlEwdz09

Meeting-ID: 915 7813 6358

Kenncode: 564019

Wann: 8. 6., 18.30h

Interessierte sind herzlich willkommen!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Laura Grestenberger

"Evolutionary methods in historical linguistics: forward-time and
backward-time analysis"

Evolutionary methods in linguistics have reached the stage where they
have a dedicated regular conference (EvoLang) and, arguably, at least
two journals (Language Dynamics and
Change and Journal of Language Evolution). This subarea has developed
from pioneering early monographs breaking the way (to give just two
examples, Croft 2000 and Niyogi
2006) to the multitude of papers published every year by an ever growing
community of scholars. However, we still have to reach the next level –
that of a solid synthesis that can
help the field to consolidate the gains and to better focus future work.
In this talk, I try to make a modest contribution to this synthesis by
demonstrating how two big analytical
frameworks of mathematical population genetics can be fruitfully used to
think about a wide range of linguistic problems. My focus will be on how
a wide range of linguistic settings can, sometimes surprisingly, be
explored using rather uniform mathematical theory.
Crucially, this would require little new fundamental research: only
sensible application of already reasonably well-understood math to
linguistic problems. The first framework we will look at is
»forward-time analysis«. Starting from a certain set of objects that can
be inherited through time, the relevant mathematical theory studies the
trajectories that this set – this »population« – can take in its future
developments. The laws that govern such development crucially depend on
the properties of the specific inheritance process at hand, and there is
great variety of such processes both for biological organisms and for
different linguistic objects in language change. Knowing this is useful
when thinking about whether, and which, evolutionary »machinery« suits a
particular languagechange problem. To illustrate this, I introduce a
vignette on how the predominantly unidirectional nature of
grammaticalization can be derived from the first principles for a
clearly defined, but wide range of linguistic settings.
The second line of analysis is »backward-time analysis«. It is a younger
subfield within population genetics, starting crystallization in its
modern form just in the early 1980s, under the label of »coalescent
theory«. This branch of mathematical population genetics starts from a
present-day sample of objects that were subject to inheritance, and then
asks which genealogical relationships these objects could have had with
each other in the past. Somewhat surprisingly, this backward-looking
perspective obtains relatively easily some very general mathematical
results. Moreover, it allows creating computationally tractable
methods of studying very complex models. I illustrate how this can be of
use to historical linguists by presenting the results on the Bantu
language family’s prehistory that we obtained jointly with Silvia
Ghirotto (U Ferrara), Patricia Santos (U Bordeaux) and Andrea Benazzo (U
Ferrara).

--
Mag. Laura Grestenberger, Ph.D.
Institut für Sprachwissenschaft