[PLing] Public lecture Monica Heller (Oct, 2; 17.00)

Mi-Cha Flubacher mi-cha.flubacher at univie.ac.at
Sat Sep 28 15:52:56 CEST 2019

Dear all - and apologies for cross-posting.

It might be of interest to you that *Prof. Monica Heller* (University of Toronto) is giving a public lecture this coming Wednesday, entitled: "Language, Capitalism, Colonialism: A Critical Genealogy“.

Wednesday, October 2, 2019. 17:00 Uhr, HS-C
IKSA, NIG, Universitätsstraße 7, 1010 Wien, 4. Stock

https://ksa.univie.ac.at/fileadmin/user_upload/i_ksa/PDFs/Veranstaltungen/Programm_Heller.pdf <https://ksa.univie.ac.at/fileadmin/user_upload/i_ksa/PDFs/Veranstaltungen/Programm_Heller.pdf>

Abstract:
This presentation, drawing from Heller and McElhinny 2017, considers the problem of the ontological status of language. I argue that the idea of language as an object of enquiry, separable from “cognition”, “society” and “culture”, is best understood as the product of a specific set of political economic conditions in which colonialism and capitalism are intertwined. One result is to render language available as a technique of regimentation and means for discursively legitimizing relations of social difference and social inequality. Within this framework, I will develop one particular case study, the rise of U.S. sociolinguistics/ linguistic anthropology in the context of the Cold War.

Best wishes,
Mi-Cha Flubacher

-----
Dr. Mi-Cha Flubacher
Universitätsassistentin Postdoc für Angewandte Sprachwissenschaft
Universität Wien
Institut für Sprachwissenschaft
Sensengasse 3a
A-1090 Wien