[PLing] Hestvik/Johnsen talks: Schedule change

Dalina Kallulli dalina.kallulli at univie.ac.at
Sun Dec 8 11:17:17 CET 2019

Dear colleagues,
Since Hestvik unfortunately had to cancel his talk, we will prepone Lars Johnsen’s talk (see title and abstract below) to that slot, namely: Friday, December 13, 1 o’clock, in Seminarraum 2, Sensengasse 3a, 1.OG.
Regards,
Dalina Kallulli

Lars Johnsen (Oslo): "Generative Grammer meets Corpus”

Within generative grammar, Chomsky  has a long history of disimissing corpus studies. One can't advance linguistics, or get insights into i-language, by trying to generalize from e-language. Science (all of it) needs experiments, and cannot move forward just by looking at manifest phenomena. We will take this view as our departure, and show that experiments indeed can be done using newer and large corpora as a resource for tools of information processing. Corpora can be utilized for the discovery of patterns as well as being part in explanations of grammatical phenomena. We will specifically look at different ways of making collocations, and how distributional semantics play a role in language models.

--
Assoz. Prof. Dr. Dalina Kallulli
Institut für Sprachwissenschaft
Email: dalina.kallulli at univie.ac.at