[PLing] Reminder: Phonology of Yiddish & morphology of the Semitic root: Two talks by Noam Faust (Paris 8)

Markus Poechtrager markus.poechtrager at univie.ac.at
Tue Oct 30 12:18:41 CET 2018

Dear all,

I would like to remind you that you are all cordially invited to two
talks by Dr. Noam Faust (Université Paris VIII Vincennes/Saint-Denis) at
the beginning of next week. He will speak about:

(1) the phonology of Central Yiddish and
(2) the morphology of the Semitic root.

Details and abstracts below.

Looking forward to seeing many of you,
Markus Pöchtrager

(1) Nasalization and drawl in Central Yiddish
(Joint work with Guillaume Enguehard)

In Central Yiddish, long vowels and diphthongs nasalize before a final
/n/, which itself disappears (/ʃpjoon/ => [ʃpjõõ] 'spy', [ʃpjoonən]
'spies', cf. /ton/ => [tɔn]). In addition, such vowels also undergo
drawl when they occur stressed and before a coronal consonant preceding
a pause (/hooz/ => [hoowəz] 'rabbit', cf. [hoozənə] 'of rabbit'). Final
vowels are all long: /bluu/ => [bluu] and do not undergo drawl. However,
if the final vowel is nasalized, it does undergo drawl: [ʦũũə̃] 'tooth'.
In this talk, I will show that the distribution of both nasalization and
drawl follow from certain assumptions of Strict CV (Lowenstamm 1996,
Scheer 2004).

Monday, 5 Nov 2019
15:15—16:45
Department of Linguistics, Hs 1
9., Sensengasse 3a

(2) Three reasons to root for the Semitic root

Semitic verbal forms are traditionally analyzed as decomposable into a
discontinuous, mostly consonantal root  and a "template" (e.g. √χ,ʃ,v +
QiTuL = [χiʃuv] 'calculation' in Modern Hebrew). This idea has
nevertheless been repeatedly challenged by several linguists, most
notably Outi Bat-E. In this talk, I present three new arguments in favor
of roots. The first, from the South-Arabian language Mehri, shows that
roots and templates can be differentially targeted by an assimilatory
process; the second argument shows how in two varieties of Neo-Aramaic,
speakers need only store consonantal sequences, as other aspects of the
realization follow from these sequences; and the third argument shows
how similar ellements in the root may undergo a dissimilatory process
"above" non-root elements.

Tuesday, 6 Nov 2019
11:30–13:00
Department of Linguistics, SR 3
9., Sensengasse 3a

--
Mag. Dr. Markus A. Pöchtrager
Institut für Sprachwissenschaft / Department of Linguistics