[PLing] last chance: submit to the Student Conference on General Linguistics

Muriel Assmann muriel.assmann at univie.ac.at
Tue Jun 26 11:52:57 CEST 2018

 Dear colleagues,

this is your last chance to submit your abstract to the Student Conference
on General Linguistics "Brno meets Vienna"!!

The submission deadline is on ***June 30, 2018***. We already received some
great abstracts but would like to see even more!

The conference is intended to bring together students who do theoretical,
descriptive, experimental and/or typological work on various areas of
grammar. You can find the updated call below or at
https://sites.google.com/site/brnomeetsvienna/. We welcome all submissions
by students, particularly submissions based on work in progress! The
conference will take place in Brno on October 20-21, 2018.

Looking forward to your submissions!
Muriel Assmann, Nina Haslinger, Izabela Jordanoska, Magdalena Roszkowski and
Marcin Wągiel

------------------

***Call for abstracts***

The conference BMV 2018 will take place at the Department of Linguistics and
Baltic Languages [1] at the Masaryk University in Brno [2], Czech Republic,
on October 20-21, 2018.

We welcome theoretical, descriptive, experimental and typological work by
undergraduate and graduate students within the subfields of phonology,
morphology, syntax, semantics and pragmatics. BMV is a student conference
and we explicitly encourage presentations on original yet unfinished
research.

***About BMV***

BMV is a conference for students organized by students. The purpose of this
event is to strengthen the ties between the linguistics student communities
in Austria and the Czech Republic and to provide a platform for BA, MA and
PhD students to present their work in an academic, but friendly and
informal atmosphere. We believe that creating a venue where young linguists
from neighboring academic centers can get to know each other, present their
research and share their ideas can spark inspiration as well as prospects
for further collaboration between the
linguistic communities in Brno and Vienna.

Submissions including papers on work in progress, also by students from other
countries are cordially invited!

***Workshops***

In addition to the student presentations, we will host three short workshops
with distinguished invited speakers from Brno and Vienna. The workshops are
meant to be advanced introductory classes on a specialized topic in general
linguistics, but more interactive than a typical guest lecture.

- Semantics/information structure: Daniel Büring (University of Vienna)
- Experimental methods in semantics: Mojmír Dočekal (Masaryk University in
Brno)
- Syntax: Susi Wurmbrand (University of Vienna/University of Connecticut)

***Submission***

Abstracts should be anonymous and should not exceed two pages in length with
an optional third page for references, examples and pictures. We welcome
oral presentations (20 minutes + 10 minutes for discussion or 25 minutes +
5 minutes for discussion) and poster presentations. Abstracts should be
submitted by e-mail to bmvconference at gmail.com by June 30, 2018.

Each submission that fits the topic will be reviewed by two reviewers, at
least one of whom will be a student. Students who submit an abstract will
be asked to review one abstract and therefore will get the opportunity to
become part of the reviewing process.

If you want to submit but have never done it before and wonder how to get
started, here [3] are some hints that might help you to write your first
abstract. Good luck!

***Important Dates***

- Submission deadline: June 30, 2018
- Notification: August 15, 2018
- Conference: October 20-21, 2018

We are looking forward to your submissions!

The organizers

Gefördertes Sonderprojekt der Österreichischen
Hochschüler_innenschaft/This project is funded by the Austrian Students'
Union.

---

Links

[1] http://www.phil.muni.cz/jazyk/