[PLing] Morphology Class with Laura Kalin starts tomorrow (Tue)

Daniel Büring daniel.buring at univie.ac.at
Mon Dec 3 13:27:38 CET 2018

Just a reminder: Tomorrow (Tue the 4th) is the first meeting of Laura
Kalin's MA Class on "Allomorphy and infixation" (160118 PS LV zur
Morphologie
<https://ufind.univie.ac.at/de/course.html?lv=160118&semester=2018W>),
starting at 18:15 (6:15pm) in Seminarraum 2. Course description below.

db

This proseminar will engage with the crosslinguistic empirical profiles
of two morphological phenomena and explore their implications for
linguistic theory. The first phenomenon we will take up is allomorphy,
variation in the form of a morpheme depending upon its environment, and
the second is infixation, the appearance of an affix inside of the stem
it attaches to rather than linearly concatenated with it. These
phenomena raise theoretical questions about locality, the nature of
exponent choice, derivational timing, and wordhood, all of which have
implications beyond just morphology. Once we have a handle on both
phenomena, we will put the two together and investigate cases of
allomorphy that involve infixation, e.g., allomorphy of infixes
themselves, and allomorphy triggered by infixes. Along the way, we will
take up the question of how best to model the interface of morphology
with syntax on the one hand, and phonology on the other.

This class will be highly interactive and hands-on. Instead of a
textbook, we will be reading selected original research. Students will
develop tools of analysis and argumentation that are applicable in all
areas of linguistics.

--
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Daniel Büring	     Institut für Sprachwissenschaft
Universität Wien	             Sensengasse 3a, Raum O6.05
homepage.univie.ac.at/daniel.buring/ daniel.buring at univie.ac.at