[PLing] Gastvortrag 13.1. Pavel Caha (Brünn): Case patterns with numerals and quantity nouns

Jakob Steixner jakob.steixner at univie.ac.at
Fri Jan 6 23:02:30 CET 2017

Liebe KollegInnen,

es freut mich, Sie/Euch zu einem Gastvortrag von Pavel Caha
(Masaryk-Universität Brünn) zum Thema "Case patterns with numerals and
quantity nouns" einzuladen.

Der Vortrag findet im Rahmen meines Proseminars zur Syntax der
Nominalphrase am Freitag 13.1.2017 11:30 - 13:00 im ÜR 5 der
Germanistik, Hautpgebäude Stiege 5, 2. Stock, statt.

Der Vortrag ist in englischer Sprache. Abstract siehe unten.

Mit herzlichen Wünschen fürs neue Jahr,
Jakob Steixner

-

In Czech, counted nouns (with numerals five and up) show up in the
genitive case when the numeral is in the nominative or accusative, but
they agree with the numeral in case the numeral is dative, locative or
instrumental. In other words, the genitive on the counted noun interacts
differently with NOM, ACC (set 1) than it does with LOC, DAT, INS (set
2).

In my recent work, I have tried to relate such patterns to some
independent facts about the morphology of case. Specifically, in Czech,
it is overwhelmingly the case that case syncretism (the formal identity
of two distinct cases) targets contiguous regions in the sequence
NOM-ACC-GEN-LOC-DAT-INS. In this sequence, the two sets of cases
(distinguished by their variable relation to the GEN) are found on two
different sides of it: NOM, ACC (set 1) are to its left, while the other
cases (set 2) are found to its right.

The talk sets out to explain this correlation, and see if that
explanation carries over to other languages (like Classical Armenian or
Estonian). Time permitting, I will propose a specific treatment of the
Estonian partitive case not as a case proper, but rather as a
portmanteau marker for the combination of two different case values
stacked one on top of the other.

--
Mag. Jakob Steixner
Institut für Germanistik