[PLing] talks by Dr. Julio Villa García in December

Cruschina Silvio silvio.cruschina at univie.ac.at
Mon Nov 14 16:31:45 CET 2016

Dear Colleagues,

I’d like to invite to two talks by Dr. Julio Villa García (The University of Manchester) that will take place next month in our Department (Institut für Romanistik):

1) “Sí/sí que ('yes'/'yes that') asymmetries in Spanish” [in English, see abstract below]
12 December, 13:15-14:00
 UniCampus AAHK, Hof 8, Institut für Romanistik, ROM 14 (first floor).
This talk is part of our Linguistisches Kolloquium Romanistik
(http://homepage.univie.ac.at/elissa.pustka/veranstaltungen/lk-wise-201617/)

2) “El español de Asturias” [in Spanish]
13 December, 17:15-18:45
 UniCampus AAHK, Hof 8, Institut für Romanistik, ROM 8 (first floor).
This lecture is part of an undergraduate course, but you are all very welcome to attend.

Best wishes,
Silvio Cruschina

“Sí/sí que ('yes'/'yes that') asymmetries in Spanish”
Julio Villa García (The University of Manchester)

Abstract
This talk aims to account for a host of syntactic and semantic contrasts between the emphatic polarity particle sí ‘yes’ and its putative counterpart with an instance of the complementizer que –sí  que ‘yes that.’ Even though the two constructions appear to be synonymous in certain contexts, closer inspection reveals that the two elements display a number of non-trivial asymmetries and should therefore be treated differently. Building on Hernanz (2007 and subsequent work), we propose that sí, which marks focal affirmative polarity, is merged in ΣP and then moves to FocusP. By contrast, we submit that sí que is directly merged in AssertiveP in the left periphery, since it emphasizes the truth of the proposition. Thus, we argue that sí que involves more CP structure, which makes a variety of correct empirical predictions. Additionally, several facts indicate that sí que behaves much like a predicate of truth, which further substantiates the AssertiveP analysis advocated here. We then investigate the possibility that que in such contexts also performs an echoic function, along the lines of Demonte and Fernández-Soriano (2014). More generally, the findings reported here allow us to draw a more accurate mapping of the Spanish left periphery, a topic of much discussion in the Romance literature.