[PLing] Interdisciplinary workshop "linking language to motor concepts", 10.06.2016, Vienna - 2nd Call for papers

Juliane Fink juliane.fink at univie.ac.at
Mon May 9 10:42:51 CEST 2016

Dear colleagues,

please find attached the 2ND CFP for the interdisciplinary workshop for
young researchers „LINKING LANGUAGE TO MOTOR CONCEPTS", held on FRIDAY,
10TH OF JUNE 2016 IN VIENNA (see call for papers attached). The deadline
for abstract submission is MAI 15TH, 2016.

In this INTERDISCIPLINARY WORKSHOP, we aim at bringing together young
researchers (including particularly, but not limited to researchers from
the University of Vienna) to discuss their work with experts from
various fields. We particularly would like to encourage young
researchers from the cognitive sciences: linguistics, neuroscience,
artificial intelligence, anthropology, philosophy and psychology who
work in the domains of LANGUAGE and / or MOTOR COGNITION.

Workshop topics include (but are not limited to):

  * EMPIRICAL AND THEORETICAL APPROACHES TO LANGUAGE AND TO MOTOR
COGNITION in the fields of linguistics, neuroscience, artificial
intelligence, philosophy, psychology, anthropology

  * cognitive mechanisms involved in the relation between the LANGUAGE
SYSTEM and the CONCEPTUAL SYSTEM (in particular motor cognition) such as
eye-hand coordination, haptic perception, motor-concept variation in
action verbs, motor planning, object detection...
  * the PRODUCTION, PERCEPTION and UNDERSTANDING of (referential)
language and motor gestures: e. g. pointing, grasping, touching.

The presentations will be held in focus groups with ample room for
discussion and constructive interdisciplinary feedback on the individual
PhD projects. We also invite researchers and students with an interest
in the topic who do not give a presentation! By this workshop we attempt
to advance and foster the interdisciplinary (young academics) research
community in Vienna.

As KEYNOTE SPEAKERS and discussants we may announce (abstracts attached
to the cfp):

  * DAVID PEETERS, Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen,
keynote: "The power of pointing in linking language to the world".
  * MARKUS VINCZE, Automation and Control Institute (ACIN), Faculty of
Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, Technical University
of Vienna, keynote: "Human and Robot Object Grasping".

The deadline for abstract submission is MAI 15TH, 2016.

Kind regards,

Juliane Fink & Timo Ahlers (organizers),
Department of German in cooperation with the Cognitve Science Research
Platform, University of Vienna and the Austrian Centre for Digital
Humanities (ACDH), Austrian Academy of Science.

--
Juliane Fink
Institut für Germanistik
juliane.fink at univie.ac.at
Ein Dateianhang mit Bin�rdaten wurde abgetrennt...
Dateiname   : 2ndcfp_linking language to motor concepts.pdf
Dateityp    : application/pdf
Dateigr��e  : 492593 bytes
Beschreibung: nicht verf�gbar
URL         : <https://lists.univie.ac.at/pipermail/pling/attachments/20160509/be50e60d/attachment-0001.pdf>