[PLing] INFO: CfP – "Language Contact in Times of Globalization" (LCTG4), Greifswald, 16-18 March 2017

Stefan Michael Newerkla stefan.newerkla at univie.ac.at
Mon Feb 29 19:58:21 CET 2016

Call for Papers*
"Language Contact in Times of Globalization" (LCTG4)*

Date: 16-Mar-2017 – 18-Mar-2017
Location: Greifswald, Germany

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; General Linguistics;
Historical Linguistics; Sociolinguistics; Typology

*Call Deadline: 01-Apr-2016 *

*Meeting Description:*
Language contact is a highly dynamic and variable phenomenon, which has
become all the more relevant due to the extensive mobility,
socio-cultural changes, current waves of migration and political
conflicts of our times. After successful meetings in Groningen (The
Netherlands) and Greifswald (Germany), we are happy to announce that the
'Fourth International Conference on Language Contact in Times of
Globalization' will again take place in Greifswald in 2017. This
conference, organized by the Chair of English Linguistics and the Chair
of Slavic Linguistics at the University of Greifswald, will bring
together scholars examining various language contact phenomena.

The conference language is English.

The following speakers have kindly agreed to deliver a plenary address
at the LCTG4:

Ad Backus (University of Tilburg)
Adam Jaworski (University of Hong Kong)
Susanne Michaelis (University of Leipzig)
Salikoko Mufwene (University of Chicago)
Sarah G. Thomason (University of Michigan)
Ghil'ad Zuckermann (University of Adelaide)

The old German Hanseatic and University Town of Greifswald offers an
attractive conference venue. Its history includes a period of Swedish
reign, which lasted from 1631 to 1815, as well as Soviet Union influence
during the Cold War. The picturesque city is located in the Baltic Sea
area, a European contact zone which has been reinvigorated after the
fall of the Iron Curtain in 1989/1990.

We are looking forward to a lively conference!
*
**Call for Papers: *
We invite 20-minute theoretically- and empirically-driven contributions
on specific scenarios of language contact around the globe, in the
following thematic fields:

- The dynamics of language contact: from language mixing to mixed languages
- Contact between typologically distinct languages and grammatical change
- Language politics and language conflicts in multilingual areas
- The creative aspect of language contact

We explicitly welcome papers embedded in innovative theoretical
frameworks such as cognitive contact linguistics or the sociolinguistics
of mobility. Depending on the range of proposals, we envisage different
conference sections, arranged according to linguistic areas or language
families.

Please send in your abstract of max. 300 words (excluding references)
via email to lctg4 at uni-greifswald.de by 1 April 2016. Following a peer
review, you will be notified about the acceptance of your paper by 1
June 2016. A conference website with further information on important
organizational matters will be set up in due course.

We are looking to forward to meeting you in Greifswald!

Sebastian Knospe, Marie-Elaine van Egmond and Bernhard Brehmer
(conference organizers)

Prof. Dr. Bernhard Brehmer
Lehrstuhl für Slawische Sprachwissenschaft
Institut für Slawistik
Ernst-Moritz-Arndt-Universität Greifswald
Domstraße 9/10
17489 Greifswald
Tel.: +49 (0)3834 86-3222
Fax: +49 (0)3834 86-3227